Chapter Thirty- Three

“What the hell happened?” I asked as I shifted, running down to the infirmary where Matthias sat in a bed, cradling his arm.

“They came from nowhere; attacked with no provocation. They killed twenty men before they just pulled away and disappeared.”

I rubbed my forehead and stopped myself from breaking down; it wouldn’t help right now. “How are the families holding up?”

He sighed and looked down at Marti who was curled up on his lap, tear streaks on her cheeks. “The grieving families are all curled up in the home theatre together.”

“A-and Klaus?” I asked, standing straight with my eyes focused forward as I asked. “What happened to him?”

“After we went through the house to make sure that there were no intruders and that everyone was ok, we couldn’t find him and he left a note; it’s in his room, it looks fishy Jen.” I could hear how hesitant he was to tell me and when I looked into his eyes I saw tears leaking down his cheeks. There had been two times I’d seen him cry; when my father died and when I got back from the hunters. It had to be bad.

I left him and ran up the stairs, avoiding everyone; they would blame me. I wasn’t there to protect my pack and now we’d lost good men, men with families who were downstairs grieving. I threw open the door to his room and was overwhelmed by his scent. Clothes were tossed everywhere, furniture was overturned, there were claw marked on the walls and blood splattered covered the glass of a broken window. I collapsed in the centre of his bed, burying my face in his pillow, breathing in his scent.

Paper crinkled underneath me as I moved and I pulled out a crunched up piece of paper.

I never cared about you Jenna, I’m leaving; don’t try to find me because you won’t.

It was scribbled in blue pen and was extremely messy, like he’d been in a rush and there was blood splattered across the crinkled white paper.

Nothing added up; I knew that this isn’t Klaus’s writing and I know that he wouldn’t have left during the middle of an attack. Unless it was Fuego, and he was taken.

I grabbed the letter and threw the door open, running out of the room. ‘All the high ranking warriors in the conference room now!’ I ordered through the pack link.

I guess that they knew how agitated and serious I was right now because five minutes later I was looking at my best thirty fighters including Hunter, Hansel, Ace, Davy, Matthias and Yiannis. Marti was sitting between her son and her mate as I spoke, holding up the letter. “Klaus is missing, he left a letter but he didn’t write it. He’s been taken and those wolves were a distraction so they could get him out of the house; Feugo has him.”

I told them what I thought and why; nothing added up when viewed separately, but once you took a step back and looked at all the facts it was clear.

Feugo had sent a man to kill Will and me.

He attacks my pack as my mate goes missing. His room shows signs of a struggle and the note is clearly not his. Feugo holds a grudge against my mate so he takes him to hurt both of us; two birds with one stone.

I know that he’s on a ‘quest’ for power and that he’s killed , takes my mate, whom he holds a grudge against and kills anyone who stands in his way. Did he want me gone so he could take my pack? Would he kill everyone if he got the chance? I wouldn’t let him; it was time I had a talk with this Feugo and by would he regret the day he crossed me.

“Send out the best trackers; find them.” I ordered Matthias. “I want training and patrols doubled, and make sure that no one is ever alone; Feugo could be close and I’m not taking any chances. The house is officially on lock down; no one gets in or our without my permission.”