Chapter Thirty-Four

The next morning, Lola assumed Alan had gone to work already, as the car was gone from the drive and there was a lukewarm cup of coffee on the kitchen counter. She looked out at the bright beachfront from the front window and the vast ocean landspace. She rarely visited the beach but when she did, she found it so relaxing. Just walking along the sand, feeling it collapse beneath your feet and the water soak into the tiny grains before dragging back outwards into the sea again. It was quite theraputic in a way, and it was quite tempting right now just to have a look around too.

Lola glanced at the bed in the spare room her and Harry had accomodated and saw him fast asleep, his cheek pressed up against the feather pillow and his soft waves sprawling outwards, a few childlike curls decorating the nape of his neck. His arm was up beside his head, the sheet slipping down and revealing the upper half of his bare back. Lola noticed the broad muscles covering his shoulder blades, the length of his tall body laying down and the dark coarse hair of his armpits and strong legs, knowing he was physically a man but the way he slept made him look like an innocent child. His eyelids fluttering gently as he dreamt and his tongue occasionally peaking out to lick his lips before he became motionless again.

She sighed and slipped into a pair of shoes she’d been wearing for the past few days. A walk and some fresh air was needed so she quietly slipped out the door, leaving Harry alone to sleep while she went for a stroll. She walked down the three steps and across a small path before turning her head and looking back up at the window. She could see the bedroom from here and knew that he’d be able to spot where she was if he happened to look out the window.

Lola felt the grains of soft sand under her feet along with tons of uncomfortable pebbles and rocks. Typical English beach. She walked further down until the sand became smoother and damper, where the tide had moisturised the shoreline.

The sound of the morning waves washing against the rocks set flow her trail of thoughts. She began to think about her Dad, this place, starting fresh. She thought about how this was probably her last chance to form a relationship with her Dad, and prays that he co-operates and wants it just like she does. Although she realistically knew he had a busy working life, and probably other more important relationship priorities of his own with other people.

Alan did have a girlfriend, and rarely spends any time at home. Simply because living on your own isn’t the most comforting place to come back to. Especially with the sounds of the coast wind whistling through your house when you get into bed at night, instead of peace and quiet.

Lola imagined living here, infront of the beach just with her Dad. She’d bring Jake down and they’d be a whole new family. By the seaside, where he could play. Her, Jake and a Dad. It was simply a dream, and although she was vigilant not to set her hopes too high, Lola couldn’t help but picture it in her head. Just a little fantasy.

She wondered what would happen to Harry if this fantasy ever came true. Would he just dissappear out of the picture? She couldn’t imagine just saying farewell to him once she finally got the family she’d always wanted. Of course there was a time not long ago when she would happily bid him ‘good riddance’. But it was knowing there’d be a of feeling of loss without his guidance and comfort now, she’d become so accustomed to seeking it from him. And he was expert and sensing what she wanted, and how to approach her.

As Lola stood aimlessly staring at the grey misty sea, Harry had woken and spotted her from the window. He threw on some clothes from yesterday, since they’d had to pack light, and followed soon after.

He slowly strolled down the sandy beach, hands shoved in his pockets and hair still untidy from sleeping on it. He could see her shivering as he got closer, no jacket or jumper insulating her slender bare arms.