Chapter Twenty Eight: Russia

"What is this stuff?" Daniel asked, cautiously chewing a mouthful of food he'd never tried before. He was deciding whether he liked it or not- the small, slow chews and confused facial expression was a bit of a give away.

He paused, left eyebrow raised before sticking his fork back into the food and taking another piece. It was black pudding.

"Something you really shouldn't be eating," Paul seethed through gritted teeth. I didn't want to point out that mum had told him off for taking some from the table before everyone had sat down. Rhodes had been rumbled.

"Seriously though, what is it?" the curiosity from Dan continued. "I think I like it."

"Black pudding," mum said, watching him just as much as me. It was strangely interesting watching him try a new food. Watching his reaction next would be even more interesting, if he asked what I was almost certain he would.

"What's it made out of?" Bingo.

"Uh...bits," Mum mumbled, pouring milk into her bowl of Special K. Why have cereal when there was a full English on the table? Mystifying.

"Blood," Paul declared, moving Dan's plate away from him. He had to reach across my Mum in order to do this. Not that he cared. "Fucking disgusting stuff that will force them to widen the car."

"Paul!" Lizzie hissed, joining me on munching through the bacon. Someone had to eat it, and it wouldn't be the fitness freaks. Although, at the rate I had been eating in the past few days, we were going to have to widen our own personal vehicles. I tried to convince myself that the fish part of fish and chips was relatively healthy...compared to a triple fried Mars bar dipped in an extra layer of chocolate.

Bloody hell, now I was just even more hungry.

"I've got the ingredients up," Paul continued, regardless of Lizzie's death stare. "Pig's blood, fucking loads of salt, pig's fat...I don't think so, Daniel."

"But it tastes so good," Lizzie breathed, slapping Paul away as he tried to confiscate the remaining pieces of the food. If he had it his way, we'd all be living off spinach smoothies with grated carrot for an extra special treat. Yummy.

"I like it," Daniel shrugged.

"Tastes good, all that matters," Dad added. For a moment I genuinely thought that Paul was going to get sent to the naughty step.

"Whatever, it's just my job," Paul huffed, forked a sausage and stomped outside.

---

"Do we have everyone?" Dan asked, standing on tiptoes to perform a headcount

"Do we have everyone?" Dan asked, standing on tiptoes to perform a headcount. Mum, Dad, Daniel's Mum, Daniel's Dad, Sara, Tim, and my now Aunty and Uncle. Yup, we were all present and correct. Which was a bit of a miracle.

Getting ten people to the boarding gate had been a bit crazy, even by Daniel and I's standards.

"We should have made you a Trip Organiser badge, Dan," Tim said, reaching for his passport in his back pocket. We had a flight to Russia's capital of Moscow before getting a connecting flight to Sochi. It was a shame there wasn't enough time for a quick tour of the capital city- it was on my bucket list, admittedly.