Chapter 1

"Push." The doctor said.

The female pushed and pushed. Every strength she had left was slowly disappearing. Finally, she was ready to stop due to the amount of pain she was feeling. But, with one last push, it made it all worth it.

The doctor gently wrapped the newborn baby with a blanket. He looked at the parents and then at the nurses. He congratulated the parents on their baby girl and excused himself as he carried the baby to the other side of the room. The parents looked at each other with confusion. No one was saying anything. They could hear the nurses whispering something to the doctor but couldn't make anything out of it. 

"I don't hear any crying? Why isn't she crying?" The mother began to panic. The husband tried his best to make sure his wife did not try to get up, but alas, he couldn't stop her. She was strong enough to get herself straighten up on the bed but not strong enough to get out. The pain of being in labor for almost eight hours made her weak and emotional. All she could do was cry in her husband's arms, not knowing what to do.

"Her heartbeat is low, and we need to operate on her ASAP," the doctor immediately placed the baby in the incubator, "Someone page Dr. Robbins from pediatrics and Dr. Wilson from cardiac. Stat!" He ordered one of the nurses to clean up the mother and ordered the rest to get Robbins and Wilson. While he was working on the baby, the father went and talked to him.

"Is she gonna be okay? What do you think is causing this?" He asked with a shaky voice.

"I'm not sure, but I believe it's a Heart Blood Deficiency." The father nodded and went back to his wife, trying to calm her down.

"You paged us?" Dr. Robbins and Dr. Wilson rushed in the O.R. and checked in with Dr. Montgomery to see what was going on.

"We should take her to a separate O.R. away from the parents." Dr. Wilson said. The other doctors agreed and told a few nurses to stay with the husband and wife.

As hours passed by, the husband and wife's stress levels went up high. Not knowing what happened to their first child freaked them out. By this time, they were back in their room. Waiting for some news to come.

"Knock knock." They looked up and saw the three doctors with smiles on their faces.

"Is she okay? Is Alycia okay?" The wife asked as she grabs hold of her husband's hand.

"Alycia. That's a beautiful name for a beautiful baby." Dr. Robbins said.

"And yes. Your baby is okay, but there are a few things we need to discuss her health." Dr. Wilson informed the parents about the baby having a heart blood deficiency. Each doctor had suggestions and advice on what is allowed and what is not allowed.

"So she can't be too excited?" The husband asked.

"No, because her heart won't be able to handle it. Her emotions can't be too high or too low. It will risk her life." Dr. Wilson said.

"Is there anything we can do?" The wife asked.

"Having a friend would be nice, but it could also be a risk. Sometimes things can go wrong in a friendship, but you'll never know." Dr. Montgomery said.

"No offense, but you guys should know. You are both highly well-known scientists. I know that it will be tough, but you will figure something out. We'll do monthly check-ups on her to see if there are any improvements." Dr. Robbins tried to lighten up the mood. It helped, but not much.

"We'll leave you two alone. If you want to see your daughter, tell one of the nurses, and they'll show you to the nursery." The three doctors left the couple alone to think. The wife started thinking about what she could do to keep their baby happy but not too happy while keeping his wife company. At this point, he doesn't know what to do. All he knows is that he will do whatever it takes to keep his wife happy and his daughter safe and alive.

"What if we can genetically create a human being that knows what to do? Like when Alycia gets too sad, it will do something to get her emotion back to normal." The wife looked at her husband with determination written all over her face.

"If we do, where would we even get the DNA from?" The husband went along with the idea for now.

"We can ask our friends," she paused and grabbed her phone, "we could tell them that it's for research. I'm sure they will help."

"And if they say yes?" His wife looked at him with a smile on her face.

"Then we start on it. We need to create it as soon as possible so it will be the same age as Alycia." She said and started calling friends who have a healthy record.

"What if when Alycia grows up and wants to know where it lives or where its' parents are? We are genetically making this human being. We can't just keep it in our lab forever. It needs a family." The husband did make a good point. How were they going to pull this off? They can't be its' parents. They can't ask someone else to be its' parents as well. But if they do, it has to be someone they trust.

"What about the Kelly's? They know about the things we do. I'm pretty sure they'll be open to it. Plus, their daughter Tori has been wanting a little brother or sister." The wife said. They thought about it for a couple more minutes until they decided to go with it. Before calling the Kelly's, they called a nurse and asked to see their baby.