Ch.5

Chat was sitting on top of a building opposite the Eiffel Tower, waiting for his lady. He couldn't get his mind off how great his day had been with Marinette, and how confident she'd been all of a sudden. He fiddled with the bracelet on his arm, Plagg having persuaded him to wear it, and he smiled. He was still smiling when Ladybug appeared beside him, beautiful as always. He stood up and kissed her hand, and Ladybug, having gotten used to it, allowed it to happen. She scratched his ears as he straightened up, making him freeze for a second, but when he faced her again, he was still oozing charm.
"Where should we go tonight, M'Lady?"
Ladybug grinned and said,
"Why don't you choose kitty; choose a place that makes you happy, somewhere that holds a really good memory."
Chat looked startled at this request, but he stood and thought about it for a minute. He then offered Ladybug his hand, which she hesitantly accepted, and he used his staff to propel them across buildings.
A few minutes later, the pair were standing on the roof of their school, looking down on the empty streets of their city.
"M- I mean, a school? This is the place that makes you happy?"
Ladybug looked at her partner with concern in her eyes; school wasn't awful but it wasn't the first place she would have thought of for a really good memory. Chat looked off into the night for a while and then replied,
"M'Lady, this is my school. This may seem shocking but, I''ve had some of the best times of my life here, apart from when I'm with you of course."
Chat winked and Ladybug groaned slightly but her thoughts were going a mile a minute. Chat went here? To her school? He could even be in her year! What if he knows her, knows her as the clumsy, stupid Marinette that-
Her thoughts were interrupted by Chat asking,
"M'Lady? Are you ok?"
Her partners eyes now mimicked the emotions she had in hers just moments ago. She shook herself free from those thoughts and focused on her mission. She needed to follow Tikki's instructions to a tee.
"I-I'm fine kitty. Now, take me to your first happy memory here. Don't ask questions, just take me there, ok?"
Chat nodded and thought again for a minute, then went to the front of the roof, beckoning her to follow him. He jumped down onto the steps and she went after, expecting to be led somewhere else, but he didn't move.
"Here?" , she asked.
Chat nodded once again and sat down on the steps. She sat down beside him and he started to talk.
"I was homeschooled for most of my life. I never really had any friends. On my first day of school, I upset a girl. Not on purpose, but she had thought so. When the last bell rang, I met her on these steps. It was pouring rain, and she was shivering under the shelter. I apologised for earlier in the day and gave her my umbrella, as she needed to walk home and I didn't. I'll never forget the look in her eyes as long as I live.. hah... eyes as blue as the heavens. This is one of my happiest memories."
Ladybug sat there numb, remembering that day. The sky was a dull grey and Adrien's blond hair and bright green eyes stood out against it. His hand was warm, and his laugh was too, and the umbrella that Chat had given her on that day was still in her room. Wait! No, it-it couldn't be... could it? M-maybe someone else had been homeschooled, annoyed a girl on their first day, and had given an umbrella to a girl whose eyes were as blue as the heavens? But, that phrase was in Adrien's love poem too!
'Eyes as blue as the heavens...'
Ladybug looked Chat directly in his eyes, searching for confirmation, looking for one boy she loved inside another. Chat stared back at her, looking into her eyes, bright green mingling with heavenly blue. They held this gaze for a minute, an hour, a day, who knows, but it was when Chat moved in to kiss her that Ladybug remembered her mission. She stood up and sighed.
"Oh my kitty. I'm so sorry. I-I brought you here to tell you something important. You told me a personal story so I will share one with you, just don't interrupt, ok?"
Chat nodded and stood up to face her, disappointed about the kiss but eager to learn any personal information about his lady.
Ladybug looked up at the school and started to tell him a story.
"I-I go here too Chat. I'm a student here. I have a big crush on a boy in my class, but up until today I have always been too nervous to ask him out. My kwami has been encouraging me, and she told me this time it will work... but she could be wrong. If I get rejected, I... I could be akumatised."
She turned to Chat and grabbed his shoulders.
"You're the only one who can stop me. If the akuma gets into my earings my kwami will still be out of them, I've told her to find you and she'll help. Her name is Tikki. And Chat... I could go after the boy, if he rejects me. I need you to protect him. You've probably heard of him, his name is Adrien Agreste."
Chat stood there for a minute blinking at her. Ladybug had a crush on him? And she was in his class? He felt like telling her who he was immediately and proclaiming their love to all of Paris, but he knew that telling her tomorrow would make it so much better, definitely worth the wait. He tried to keep his expression neutral as he answered her,
"Of course M'Lady, when have I ever let you down? There's no need to worry though, no one could ever reject you, no matter what mask you wear."
He grabbed her and pulled her in for a hug, making her gasp in surprise, then melt into him, laying her head on his shoulder. When they broke apart, both their miraculous' beeped and Chat took off into the night. He was so far ahead he didn't hear when Ladybug shouted after him, asking about his bracelet.