Payback

"For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭2:10‬ ‭NLT‬

🌼Serena's POV🌼

A couple weeks had gone by since Becca and Danny's make up and they have been going strong. It was a little weird to see how similar they are and how they're always together. It's cute but a bit unnerving. And I still don't know what they're all planning but I'm keeping it in the back of my mind. They haven't acted completely strange since that first day but I'm holding my breath. The only thing they'd do is talk in codes which in my opinion, they sound really funny doing it.

They had played three pranks on me-dressing as a clown(she knows that I hate them) when I was eating cereal, screaming bloody murder when I was sleeping, and having random things pop out at me. It was not fun, no matter how many times they would laugh. Sure I'd quickly get over it but they needed pay back. I think it was a way to get their weird behavior off my thoughts.

"Boo."

"Ahh." I turn to whoever did that, and to my surprise, it's Jacob. That jerk.

"Not you too." I whine.

"No," He chuckles, "I just wanted to do it once since Danny and Becca got all the fun."

"You're really mean."

"No I'm not." He laughs while lightly poking me in the stomach.

"You are." I say, reciprocating the same action towards him.

See, these are the kinds of things that make me doubt how he feels about me. I know that I like him. I've been thinking about Carmen's question ever since she asked it. Till now, I've been thinking of what made me like him—his laugh, his smile, his love towards his mom, his eyes, his joking nature, his kindness towards me.

I wish I could know how he feels for me, it'd solve so many problems. But I'm too scared to ask, too scared that I'll look like a fool if I do ask.

"Are you gonna get them back?" He asks once we've stopped poking each other.

"Definitely. I just don't know how."

"Need help?" He asks.

I turn to him, "Yes please."

"But what do I get in return?"

I stiffen, "Um... my everlasting gratitude? The knowledge that you were able to scare your best friend and mine?"

"Hm," He hums, "Those do sound promising but I was thinking of something better..."

"Like what?" I ask, desperately trying to control the beat of my heart. Could he mean...? No of course not. Only in my mind will he ever want to actually kiss me. Just a silly and stupid fantasy, nothing more.

He pauses for a bit, and if rethinking his demands, and says, "You have to cook for me for a week. Anything I want, to an extent of what you're able to make."

My body relaxes but a tiny part of me saddens. I was right, he doesn't want to kiss me. Who would?

You'll never make anyone happy. Never make them satisfied. I was stupid to go out with you in the first place. I only did it out of pity. That's the only reason why people would actually talk to you. Out of pity. You're not worth anything to anyone. You will never be worth it!