Missing

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
‭‭John‬ ‭14:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬

🥀Serena's POV🥀

Waking up is a strain. I don't want to get out of bed, but I know I have to. Glancing over at the clock, noticing that it was two minutes before it blares, my hand pushes to get up, turning the alarm off as well. Nathan's arms hinder me from moving further, and I squeeze his nose. His face scrunches up until his eyes open, revealing a hazy, caramel brown. Although his eyes depict exhaustion, when they land on me, they immediately shift to worry.

"Are you okay? How did you sleep?"

"I slept fine," surprisingly.

"You sure?"

"Yes, now get up we have to go to school."

He gives me a hesitant look, "Are you completely sure? We'd all be fine if you stayed home. I think that's the better option."

I'm reminded of what happened the day before, and my mood sours drastically. "I'm fine."

Since he hasn't moved an inch since waking up, I throw the covers off my body and stand to my feet. My posture weakens, a quick taste of light-headedness on my brain. I can hear Nathan make a nervous sound, fearful for my possible reactions. I turn my head, giving him a calm smile, and make my way to the bathroom. Upon stepping in front of the mirror, I finally understand what made him weary of my attitude to go to school.

My eyes are still red, dark circles beneath. My skin is pale—which is scary in itself—giving off a sickly pallor. I notice that my shoulders are set in a natural slouch. I should just take Nathan's advice and stay home, but I feel like I shouldn't miss school. I could be strong enough to go. I'll just... suppress the feelings. That's easy.

So with that in mind, I complete all necessary tasks done in the bathroom. When I'm done with everything, I leave the bathroom and enter my bedroom. Nathan is still here, sitting up on the bed with his elbows propped on his knees. As I made my presence known, his face lifted up.

"I know I can't change your mind, but can you do one thing for me?"

"What is it?" I ask, sitting beside him.

He takes my hand, "I can't make you feel any better, I can't fix what happened. At least let me help you. I want you to take it slow. I'll help you with school stuff, and I'll get you anything you need. You don't need to go through this on your own."

I smile as my eyes water, "Thank you Nathan. And I'm still going to school."

He chuckles softly, "I guessed that. I'll leave so you can get ready." He walks to my door, "Oh, and I'm taking you to school as well."

"Okay, thank you."

He smiles before leaving the room. After he's completely gone, and the door is closed, I turn to my closet. What to wear? Although I want to go to school, I don't feel like trying—clothes wise. I opted to taking some dark jeans, and a simple white t-shirt. When that's on, and I've put shoes over my feet, I put perfume and deodorant and all the other stuff. I leave my bedroom, receiving a greeting from Oreo. I stroke his back, and play with his ears.

"Hello Oreo," I coo softly, "How are you?"

He barks happily, licking my hand. I smile softly at him before continuing my walk to the kitchen. No one is here, so I am free to lean against the counter and think. Would Jacob go to school today? I'm not sure if I could handle seeing him so soon. He broke my heart. But I need to go to school. I can't fall behind in my education just because he lost feelings for me. I could do this. I'm stronger than this... I hope. No, I know I'm strong enough for this.