Nick's POV

"Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice. He rescues me unharmed from the battle waged against me, even though many oppose me."
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭55:17-18‬ ‭NIV‬‬

This is a bonus chapter. You don't need to read it if you don't want to. This is from the Nailey kiss.

The day starts off on a rough note. I'm sleep in for ten extra minutes and my mom comes barreling in, a pot and spoon in her hands. My eye begins to twitch in annoyance and I bring the pillow over my head.

"Come on Nick. I'm not in the mood, I've got two job interviews and I shouldn't have to wake you up."

"Alright, I'm sorry."

"Thank you. Now get up, I went grocery shopping yesterday."

"Thanks, Ma. I love you."

"You're welcome. I love you too," she shuts the door and I hear her footsteps diminish in loudness.

I throw the covers and pillow off, and get up. I shrug my pants off and grab some jeans. Once I've got that on, along with a simple black t-shirt and some converse, I spray cologne on my neck. I walk to the kitchen where Ma is already there. I grab an apple and kiss her cheek, walking out the door. Getting in the car, while taking bites from the fruit, I drive to the hell hole.

But Hailey will be there, my mind taunts. Don't you want to see her? Her beautiful face?

I glare at my own thoughts and continue to drive. Of course Hailey is beautiful, but it's not just her face. Her mind is a different kind of wonder. My God, something's wrong with me. I can't think of her like that. I'm sure she feels hatred towards me. Although these past couple of days could tell me otherwise. She'd give me this look sometimes, and I swear I'm on cloud nine.

My thoughts are disrupted by the sight of the school building. I park, rolling my eyes as I exit. Girls look at me but none of them have the smart brown eyes that always catch my attention. I find Danny and Becca, and walk over to them.

"Hey Nick," he greets.

"Hey," I respond.

We talk about small, inessential topics. My tongue seems to have escaped my mouth as I gaze at Hailey as she walks closer. Although she's simply wearing black leggings and a grey flannel, I've never seen anyone so perfect. Dammit. What is up with me today? She sits next to Becca, and I continue to stare at her. I barely focus on what Danny is telling me, my mind in a whorl. Jacob and Serena are suddenly here, I didn't even see them walk over. I can't seem to take my eyes off of her even when I try my hardest. The warning bell rings and I leave. I should talk to her. I can't keep waiting.

~Lunch~

I get to the cafeteria and get some food. A turkey sandwich and water. When I sit at the table, Danny is there.

"Hey Danny."

"Hey."

I hear lovely laughter, and look up to see Hailey laughing at something Becca said. How the fuck am I going crazy over someone's laugh? They sit down, and she sits one seat away from me. I resist the urge to move down one, with nothing—or no one—in between us. When I turn my attention back to Danny, I take note of the small smirk on his face.

"What?" I ask defensively, taking a sip of my water to give my hands something to do.

"Nothing, just wondering when you're gonna make a move."

I nearly spit the contents out of my mouth. Looking back at him, he has his hand over his mouth, a snigger leaking out.

"What?"