Mother's Necklace

The next three days were mostly spent with my father. He was trying to make up for not being the father I needed him to be. The night before the day I would leave for Hogwarts he asked me to play a game of chess with him in the front room. "Knight to E5." His knight moved to the position and I tried to hold in my laugh. I was so gonna win. "King to E5." My king moved and stabbed his knight in half. "Check mate father." He clapped his hands and I could swear I hear him laugh like a kid for a moment. He then walked to the window and watched the rain fall. I walked to him and sat on the window sill. "What are you always thinking about when you look out the window during a storm or when you stare at the fireplace?" He then smiled and looked at me. "Your mother." I was surprised he rarely talked about my mother, I then remembered that he had once promised to tell me about her. "Tell me about her you said you would I want to know." "She was a lot like you in so many ways, headstrong stubborn and the most beautiful woman I had ever seen." He pulled out a silver locket and opened it showing a picture of a woman with my similar hair color. "There are times when I look at her picture and then I look at you and I almost mistake you for her." I laughed a little covering my mouth then he handed the necklace to me. "I was gonna give it to her the night she left me, but I think she would have wanted you to have it." He undid the clasp and clipped it around my neck. "It goes with the jewelry box that I gave you before I didn't know you were my daughter and I thought I could adopt you but after I found out that you were my daughter, I wondered why your mother left me." He then grabbed his wand and started shooting sparks at the window breaking it. "Father!" He stopped as I stood in front of him holding his hands tight. He lowered his wand and cupped my face in his hands dropping his wand. "Why did she leave me?" I had thought about showing him the letter that Hagrid found with me when I was a baby but I just looked at him knowing it would be best not to tell him. I didn't think he would be okay with knowing how much mother feared him. "I don't know father." He then held me in his arms until I began to fall asleep. He carried me up to my room and pulled the blankets over and kissed my forehead. Then left the room saying goodnight.