Chapter 8

Viv sauntered casually inside our apartment, as if she owned the place. She was dressed in her most expensive clothing, a gray pea coat I bought her last year, designer jeans and real UGG boots. Arina wore a casual windbreaker, sweats and sneakers. As much as I don’t like either of them, I liked Choi more at that moment.

Choi approached me nervously. “Who is that?” she asked quietly.

“I have no idea,” I replied, wishing it wasn’t a lie. She smiled, who knows frickin why. Choi sat awkwardly beside Viv who was sprawled on the couch, desperately trying to show off her not-so-long legs.

Bailey raised his eyebrows at me, shooting questions through his eyes but I only ignored him. With a sigh, Bailey politely greeted the two of them, gave them drinks and crap before excusing himself. Before leaving, he shot me one more confused look. I shrugged in response.

Viv opened her mouth, preparing to say something probably obnoxious as usual. Choi quickly cut her off, but I assumed she didn’t realize.

“Um… I changed my story… a bit.” She mumbled, handing me the packet of papers. “Could you read it… and tell me what you think?”

“Sure,” I said slowly.

Before I could even look at it, Viv began to whine loudly. “Tye, honey, who is this girl?”

“And who are you?” I asked her back. She pouted, sticking out her bottom lip. Choi fidgeted nervously, uncomfortable with the awkward situation. Viv quickly changed the subject.

“When are you coming home, Tye? Everyone misses you soo much!”

I ignored her skimming to the end of Choi’s manuscript.  

“Oh hey, want to tell me who you are?” Vivian asked Choi loudly.

“I’m, um, Arina Choi.”

“Oh, I’m Vivian, Tye’s girlfriend.” She smiled and batted her eyelashes. Choi glanced at me, and fidgeted some more. I looked up to glare at Viv.

“What the hell?” I snapped. Viv cowered back slightly, but her smile stayed.

“We’ve been dating for how long now? A year? Two years?” Viv looked up at the ceiling as if mentally counting. I rolled my eyes. “And see my coat? Isn’t it the cutest?”

“Um sure…” Choi muttered. She kept looking at me panic-stricken.

“Tye bought it for me,” Vivian chirped sweetly. She pulled up a face of mock-horror. “Omigod, are you jealous?!” she exclaimed. Choi shook her head repeatedly.

“N-no,” she said quickly.

“Well, that’s good, it’d be sooo annoying for little fan girls to go around wanting to claw my eyes out,” Viv continued. Arina slouched down in the little space she had. She rolled her eyes and let out a sigh. Viv shot her a look that seemed both surprised and annoyed.

God, kill me now. I gently placed down Choi’s work, which was probably still crappy but I had to be nice to it. I stood up and grabbed Viv’s arm. She squealed with idiotic delight.

“Are you taking me somewhere? It’s been so long since we’ve gone on a date!”

“Look, Vivian, it’s over between us, okay? It’s been over- so get the hell out of here.” I told her calmly. Viv’s shocked expression was priceless. Ever since we were kids, I’d never once called her Vivian. I could only hope she got the message.

Choi giggled slightly which won her a petrifying glare from Viv.

With a little more pestering, Viv grudgingly left. As she stepped out, one foot still inside our apartment, she looked back dramatically. “I’ll be seeing you around… Ken,” she winked and with a giggle, officially left. Ken’s eyebrows shot up with surprise and he looked at me with alarm. I burst out laughing.