Chapter 2: Airplanes and Lost Hugs

"It's too early to be alive right now," Calum yawned. He closed his eyes and rested his head on Ashton's shoulder, who was already snoring like a freight train.

"Guys, it's only six-thirty in the morning," Reese said, rolling her eyes. "You're being melodramatic."

"It's too early to use big words."

She frowned and looked around the Uber car. "Um, what's that rattling noise?"

"Just my bat," the Uber driver said, his thick Singaporean accent making him difficult to understand.

"Oh, your bat," she said with a nod. "Uh... which kind of bat?"

"The one you get from America, what you hit balls with."

I flinched and crossed my legs over each other. I suddenly wished that I was in the backseat with the others. "Which kind of balls?"

The driver laughed but didn't answer. That scared me.

We arrived at the airport a few minutes later, and I got out in a hurry. The others followed more slowly, exhaustion making them sluggish, and I kept an eye out for Arzaylea. She was supposedly already at the terminal (an hour and a half early, how punctual), but you never knew with someone like her.

"Luke, help us with these bags," Ashton grunted, pulling on a suitcase that was buried underneath fifteen others.

I went over to them and tried my best. We finally unearthed all of our stuff and paid the Uber. We headed inside, went through security, bought ten coffees, and looked for our terminal.

It was strange not being accompanied by bodyguards or getting swamped by waves of fans. Management had arranged for us to access a private airport to get us safely to America, and it was the best decision they had made in a while. I couldn't remember the last time I could walk around in a semipublic place without having to worry about someone screaming my name.

"What number is it again?" Reese asked, looking around for the terminal.

Ashton tried to speak, but he had a mouth full of doughnut.

"English, please."

He swallowed hard. "C13."

"There it is," Calum said, pointing.

We followed him over there, the dread in my stomach growing heavier and heavier. We found a few spare seats and sat down. Calum cuddled up to Ashton again, and Michael cracked a few jokes about their bromance. Reese decided to buy more snacks for the plane, although we had plenty. I knew the real reason why she left, and I heard it before I saw it.

"Hey there, Lukey," her high-pitched voice crooned, and I forced a smile on my face.

"Hello, Lea," I said, and I stood up to hug her.

There was no denying that Arzaylea was beautiful, everything a man could ask for physically. She had soft black hair that spilled over her shoulders; smooth, caramel-colored skin; mesmerizing, glittering dark eyes; and plump, full lips. She smelled amazing, like rose petals and cherry blossoms. Compared to a slob like me, it was amazing that she could ever put up with me. Which was why she didn't.

"You actually showed up on time," she said, raising her perfectly-plucked eyebrows.

"No," Calum corrected her, his eyes still closed. "We showed up early just so Luke could impress you."

I felt my ears burn as she rolled her eyes. "He's going to have to try harder than that."

Reese came back with arms full of snacks, and Michael helped her put them in the carry-ons. The tension between the two girls was pretty thick, but they didn't attack each other immediately. It was all a matter of who would strike first.