Chapter 14: Fights and Pokémon

(a/n) Sorry if my formatting is pretty different. The app I use for writing my stories has updated a lot, so the quotation marks are more obvious and the double dash is gone. I kind of love it since my writing looks more professional, but it makes typing so much slower!

P.S. I'm going to try to get back on my schedule of updating every Friday. I've got plenty of chapters written for the next couple weeks, so you don't have to worry about me disappearing again!

*NEW* (a/n) HAHA PAST ME YOURE SUCH A LIAR YOU TOTALLY DISAPPEARED AGAIN JERK. Also I have a new phone now, so that "professional formatting" is gone :(

"Are you seriously watching 'Jersey Shore'?" Reese asked me incredulously.

"Well, yeah," I said. "I need to brush up on my knowledge of New Jersey before I return."

"You do realize that you're watching the season located in Miami Beach, right?"

"Wait, I am? Then why is it still called 'Jersey Shore'?"

"You're such an idiot," she sighed, flopping down on the couch.

I turned off the TV and leaned my back against the couch from where I sat on the floor. There was obvious tension in the air, but I didn't know how to distill it. Reese was obviously still mad at me; why wouldn't she be? I had tried apologizing to her multiple times before, but she either didn't believe me or didn't want to listen. Why couldn't we just resolve this and move on?

"I'm sorry," I said the same time Reese demanded, "Why did you do it?"

"What?" we asked each other in unison.

"You go first," I said hastily, turning to face her. I drew my knees up to my chest and rested my chin on them to be more comfortable.

"Why did you do it?" Reese inquired, staring down at me with stony eyes.

I sighed and averted her gaze. "I thought you were someone else. And even if you were you, I liked you for a long time, and—"

"That doesn't give you the right to kiss me out of nowhere," she snapped back. "You know how much Michael means to me—"

"And I know how much you mean to Michael!" I shot back. "I know how much you mean to everybody. I... I wanted that. It's not fair, because I liked you way before Michael did, and he hated you and called you names and hit you and—"

"And I did the same things back," Reese argued. "Neither of us are perfect, and yeah, I hated him. I still do sometimes. But that's why we never say 'I love you'; it's not quite as accurate as our hatred for each other."

My brow furrowed. "That doesn't make any sense."

"You're one to talk. It makes sense to kiss your best friend's girlfriend?"

"You wouldn't understand," I grumbled.

"No, I do understand!" she countered. "Remember Calum?"

"What about him?"

"I thought that it was pretty dang obvious that we were into each other, but he stabbed me in the back by going out with Allison. Then he ditched her and came running back to me."

"So? What does that have to do with this?"

"My POINT," Reese emphasized, "is that you don't just kiss and chase after whomever you want whenever you feel like it. You're the one who gets hurt in the end."

I rolled my eyes. "Calum doesn't seem very hurt to me. You guys get along just fine."

"Because we're friends, and he understands that I'm happy with Michael. You can't seem to get that through your thick skull."