Chapter 6: Bombs and Cells

"Since we're stuck here for another DAY, I'm going to go find us a hotel," Reese said, emphasizing the annoyance in her voice. "You really are the master of losing things."

"It was an accident," I said sharply, referring to both my lost passport and the kiss.

She rolled her eyes. "Yeah, sure, it was," she muttered before stomping off.

I stuck my tongue out at her, turned on my phone, and started playing Candy Crush. I was stuck on this one level, and I knew that Reese could beat it in five minutes. But I didn't need her help, I could figure it out by myself.

She turned out to be gone for a while, and I grew bored waiting for her. I also got hungry, so I got up and searched for food. The airport had really cleared out after my friends' flight left, so I didn't have any trouble finding a few snack bars. I was about to enter one when I noticed a couple security officers. At first I thought nothing of it, but they seemed to be searching for something. Whatever it was, it must've been really important, because they had their handcuffs and clubs out.

I kind of wanted to see where this was going, so I just bought a muffin and nibbled on it as I watched the two officers check every nook and cranny in the hallway. Occasionally they would speak code into their walkie-talkies, and one even rifled through a trash can. Yup, this thing that they were searching for was really important.

They caught me staring at them, and they stalked up to me quickly. They didn't look happy. I suddenly felt nervous, but I hadn't done anything wrong. What did they want with me?

"You haven't seen two girls wandering around here, have you?" one asked.

I frowned. "Aren't you guys affiliated with the law?"

They exchanged looks. The first--his name tag simply read "Brown"--said, "Of course. Why?"

"I mean, I know that we're all looking for girls," I said. "But you guys seem pretty old, not to mention you're POLICE, to be looking for girls."

The second one, whose name was Robin, smacked his forehead with the palm of his hand. "That's not what we meant. We're looking for a couple of girls, about five and a half feet tall, particularly one with bright red hair. Have you seen them?"

"Here?" I asked. They nodded. "No. Why?"

"That's classified."

They moved on with their search, and I stuffed the rest of my muffin in my mouth. I wondered if these girls knew that they were being stalked by pedophiles.

"Hey."

I jumped from the voice in my ear and nearly spit out my muffin. I spun around, and I realized that a girl with short red hair was staring at me from behind a plastic potted plant.

I swallowed hard and said, "Hey, you're one of the girls those guys are looking for."

She grimaced and nodded.

"HEY, I FOUND--" I began to yell, but she lurched up and clamped a hand over my mouth.

"Are you crazy?" she hissed. "You can't let them find me! I need your help."

"Mmf," I said from behind her hand.

She removed it. "What?"

"What do you need my help with?" I asked.

"My friend and I need to get out of here, and I've seen you around LA plenty of times before."

"You're a fan?" I inquired. She didn't seem like one, especially since she hadn't started screaming when she saw me.