Chapter 3: Parties and Jell-O

After dropping our stuff off at the hotel, Ashton called for an Uber to take us to the party and back. Apparently, he didn't trust any of us--not even himself--to leave the party not intoxicated. I thought that he was overreacting. I can be plenty responsible when I want to be.

The Uber driver gave us strange looks when he dropped us off at the party. Alex never hosted parties at his own place, so he usually rented out a different house or empty building to rave in. This time, he had chosen a place in the middle of LA with cars surrounding it for miles. You could hear the pounding music from inside the Uber, and multicolored lights flashed outside the windows.

"Just so you know, if you vomit on my seats, you're paying for them," the driver informed us. Even he didn't trust us.

"You won't have to worry about that, sir," Ashton promised, but the look on his face said otherwise. "Come on, guys, let's go party responsibly."

"Wow, Ash, way to suck the fun out of everything," Calum grumbled as he left the car.

"What are you talking about? I'm fun!"

"Really? 'Party responsibly?'" Michael laughed, exiting the car with Reese's hand in his own.

I was in the front with the driver again, and I puffed the air out of my lungs loudly. My friends started heading up the front walk without me, and they didn't even notice.

"Are you with them or what?" the Uber driver asked.

"Yeah," I said absently. I almost didn't even want to get out of the car. I felt like staying in and partying on my own.

"Well, you better catch up. I have other people to pick up, you know."

I quickly left and slammed the car door behind me, and he zoomed off. We're professionals, I reminded myself as I speed-walked up to my friends. Throwing a tantrum here would not be a good idea.

"Remember, guys, best behavior," Ashton reminded us at the front door.

"We'd like to go have fun now, if that's alright with you, Dad," Calum said with a roll of his eyes.

"If you give me any more of that attitude, I'm going to have to punish you," Ashton scolded, only half-joking.

"Let's go already!" Reese exclaimed, and she invited herself in without knocking or anything.

As soon as the door opened, booming music spilled outside to greet us. Most of it was All-Time Low's music, which was typical Alex. We stepped inside and were enveloped in darkness and strobe lights. I recognized a handful of people, but most were friends of the band that I'd never met before. Alex was talking to some of them, and he gave us a quick wave before resuming his conversation.

"Holy heck, it's Alex Gaskarth!" Reese cried breathlessly. "We have to say hi! It's only polite!"

She grabbed the front of Michael's shirt and dragged him off in Alex's direction. He gave us a helpless shrug in defense.

"Well, bye," Calum chirped, but Ashton grabbed the collar of his shirt before he could dart off.

"No way, Hood," he said cautiously. "I don't trust you or Luke alone at any party, much less--"

"Oh, wow, Ash, would you look over there?" Calum interrupted innocently. "Guess who it is."

Ashton gave him a warning look before glancing over to see where he was pointing, and his jaw went slack. He set the bassist free to instantly start smoothing down his shirt and whipping a hand through his gelled hair. Finally, he cleared his throat and hobbled like a zombie over to a beautiful girl with long blonde hair.