Chapter 16: Vegemite and Cupcakes

Chapter 14: Vegemite and Cupcakes

(a/n) GAH I TOTALLY FORGOT TO UPDATE ON FRIDAY IM SO SORRY FAM HERE YOU GO

"Okay, so the carnival date didn't work, which still blows my mind," Faith deduced, pacing in front of me. "It's time that we try Plan B."

"What exactly is Plan B?" I asked warily.

"A dinner date."

"We already did that. While you and Reese were exploring the world, Jasmine and I went out to a Mexican restaurant and played in the rain."

"What are you, five?" she scoffed, and I stuck my tongue out at her. "That only proves my point, idiot. Okay, let's move on to Plan C."

"And what's that?"

"How about bowling?" Faith suggested. "Jasmine and her family are pretty big bowlers."

"I'm not great at bowling," I informed her uncertainly. "I'd just look stupid."

"You mean, more so than usual?"

I scowled at her. "Are you trying to be helpful or not?"

She only smirked down at me in response. "Okay.... How about a picnic?"

"A picnic?"

"Yeah, you know, an outing or occasion that involves taking a packed meal outside to be eaten?"

"I know what a picnic is," I said irritably. "Wait, did you just quote the dictionary definition?"

"A picnic would be perfect," Faith went on, ignoring me. "Jasmine loves the outdoors, and it would give us some time to spend outside of this dumb, stuffy trailer."

She had a point. After the amusement park excursion, Reese and I had both gotten yelled at for wasting the band's time. We both felt bad, and we'd been chasing after the tour bus ever since. Our next shows were in Montreal, and we hadn't spent much time outside of the trailer as we hurried to get there on time. It would be refreshing to step outside even if it were just for a couple hours, and it'd be especially exhilarating if Jasmine spent some alone time with me. Despite living on a tiny trailer together, she had been successfully managing to avoid me completely. At least a picnic would force her to acknowledge me again.

"What about you and Reese?" I asked Faith.

"We'd obviously join you, but we'll spend as much time away from you as we can. It's not really a date if other people are there, you know."

I thought back to the numerous "dates" I'd had with Allison. "Yeah, that's true."

"So, can you cook?"

I must've looked absolutely flabbergasted, because Faith burst out laughing. She straightened up and sighed to herself, wiping away a fake tear.

"I'm guessing that's a 'no,' then," she snickered.

"Well, I make a mean bowl of cereal," I defended myself. "And have you seen my Vegemite toast? Ashton dies for those."

"What the heck is Vegemite?"

My jaw dropped. "I-I'm sorry, what? What?"

Faith frowned curiously. "What's Vegemite? It sounds like something with veggies in it."

"Well, you're not wrong, but that's not clearly close enough."

I jumped to my feet and grabbed her arm, dragging her towards the trailer's door. She resisted against me and pulled on my hand, but there was no way that she could break away.