Chapter 18: Birthday Suits and Sculptures

I'm just going to skip over the part where the entire band yelled at me and Reese for not making it to Canada on time for the concerts and for forcing them to give out more refunds. It's pretty obvious how that went down. Needless to say, Reese and I weren't feeling too good about our situation. We needed to catch up to the band, fast.

"Do you think that Michael hates me?" I asked Reese, only half-watching the episode of The Office on TV. I was mostly preoccupied with worrying about how my friends thought of me.

"'Hate' is a strong word," she replied, also watching the show. Unlike me, she seemed fully invested.

"Is that a yes?"

"Why don't you ask him?"

"What if he says that he does?" I wondered aloud anxiously.

"Then you'll know, and you won't have to ask me."

"I'm being serious, Reese."

"So am I."

"Do you hate me?" I inquired. I twisted around from my spot on the floor to look up at her, and she met my gaze evenly.

"I don't know if I hate you," she admitted. "But I'm certainly not a big fan of yours right now."

"Of course you're not, you said that you don't like our band."

She sighed heavily. "That's not what I meant. I just--"

Before she could finish, Faith's loud voice called out, "Are we in New York yet?"

"Close!" Jasmine shouted back. "We'll be there in, like, fifteen minutes."

"Cool. Luke, close your eyes."

"What--" I began, but Reese cut me off by quickly smothering my face with her hands.

"Faith, you seriously need to buy a bathrobe," Jasmine groaned. "Most normal people own one."

"I'd never use it," Faith argued. I could hear her wet feet slap the ground as she walked past. "We don't usually have guys around, and you've never complained before."

"Well, we have a guy around now, so get one!"

"Wait, is Faith naked?" I asked. I couldn't see anything between Reese's fingers--not that I was trying to!

"No, I'm in my birthday suit," Faith retorted sarcastically.

"Oh. Then why do I need to cover my eyes if you're wearing a suit?"

There was a beat of silence.

"Did you eat paint chips as a child?" Faith finally asked.

"Not that I remember."

"Faith!" Jasmine cried. "That's rude!"

"I'm sorry, it's just too easy."

"Too easy to do what?" I demanded, trying to pry Reese's hands off my face. She smacked my hands away with lightning speed.

"Faith, please stop teasing him and put on some clothes," Jasmine sighed.

"Alright, alright."

Reese finally moved her hands away, and I subtly glanced in Faith's direction only to see that she was buttoning up her pants. She caught my eye and smirked, raising her eyebrows. I quickly looked away as my cheeks burned.

"We've officially entered New York," Jasmine announced, but nobody celebrated like we had when we found Canada. Nobody was really expecting this to work since nothing else had.