Chapter 15: Fears and Bromances

"Did you tell her that it was a date?" Faith groaned, running her hand through her hair.

"No, she figured it out for herself," I sighed. "You said that she'd be okay with it if that happened."

"I'm honestly kind of surprised," the red-haired girl remarked. "I really thought that she would be. Her parents must really be holding her back."

"Is that seriously what it is?" I asked doubtfully. "I think that it actually has something to do with me."

"Trust me, it doesn't. Jasmine's life is practically controlled by her parents. She can't do anything without their okay."

"Then how am I supposed to go out with her if she does everything they say?"

"Just make yourself irresistible or something," Faith suggested, shoveling more funnel cake into her mouth. She had powdered sugar on her chin, but she didn't seem to notice. "Make her need you. Make her desire you."

"Okay, I don't need to be 'desired,'" I said, wrinkling my nose. "But I want her to need me. I just doubt that it'll happen."

"Oh, I know that she doesn't need you," Jasmine's friend said breezily, sitting back. "She could do so much better than you. But if you're what she wants...."

I scowled at her. "You're cruel."

"No, I'm Faith."

I rolled my eyes and leaned against Pikachu as I thought. Faith had a point. This "date" hadn't worked out, so I needed to find some way to make Jasmine come to me, not the other way around. But how was I supposed to do that? I didn't know how to act "irresistible," as Faith had put it.

"It's getting late," the red-haired girl said, standing. "We should meet back up with the others."

I hoisted Pikachu up and tucked him under my arm. "This sucks. I was so busy trying to get Jasmine to like me that I didn't get to go on any of the rides."

"That does suck," Faith agreed. "They were awesome."

I sighed and played with Pikachu's floppy tail as I followed her to the entrance of the park. I was looking at the ground as we walked, so I didn't notice her stop until I accidentally stepped on her heels and bumped into her.

"Ow, watch it!" she yelped, flinching away from me. "Don't make me regret doing something nice for you."

Before I could ask her what she meant, I looked up to see the Ferris wheel looming over us. The line was much shorter than it had been earlier in the day, and the operator was calling for final riders before the park closed. I smiled to myself and squeezed Pikachu excitedly. Sure, a Ferris wheel wasn't much, but it was better than nothing.

We got in line and were locked inside a cabin before long, lifting into the tangerine sky. Instead of sitting across from me like I expected, Faith sat beside me, and I was forced to seat Pikachu on the opposite bench.

The three of us were silent for a long moment. I was thinking about Jasmine and how to win her over, and I had a feeling that Faith was thinking about the same thing. She didn't face me, she just looked ahead with a thoughtful frown on her face. The setting sun caused her scarlet hair to glow like fire, and I was once again reminded of Michael. I glanced away and turned to Pikachu, who was smiling at us blankly. I wasn't sure what he was thinking about.

"Hey, Faith," I said, and she jumped slightly as she was jolted from her thoughts. "Sorry, I didn't mean to surprise you."

"It's—" she began, but she cut herself off with a sharp intake of breath when she peered over the cabin's door rim.