Chapter 4: Hangovers and Dressing Rooms

I slowly cracked my eyes open only to be met with searing bright light. A bolt of pain shot through my skull, and I clenched my eyes shut tight again.

"Yep, I'm dead," I groaned, curling up. "Heaven sucks."

I tried opening my eyes again, and this time I prepared myself. I eased my head up from my pillow and covered my face with my hands until my eyes adjusted. I looked around and realized that I was in my hotel room, splayed out on my bed, almost hanging off. I glanced towards the floor where I saw a small bucket filled with foul-smelling green liquid, and I quickly turned away before I could puke (again).

That motion was a mistake. My head was as heavy as a ton of bricks, and my stomach churned at the sudden movement. Bile rose in the back of my throat, and I hurriedly choked it down. I wrinkled my nose and buried my head under a blanket. Ugh, drinking is evil. I was never going to get drunk ever again.

That was a lie.

I was perfectly content staying in bed all day and not moving for the rest of my life when I heard a harsh knock on the door. Before I could yell at the cleaning lady to go away, the sound of the door creaking open made my blood freeze. Nobody else had access to my room but me. Somebody was intruding.

I instantly held my breath and hoped that they would ignore the human-sized lump under the duvet, or they would smell the sweat and beer and vomit and just leave me in peace. But I heard their footsteps approaching--slowly, quietly--and stop at the foot of my bed. I bit my tongue fearfully.

As soon as I felt the blanket start to move, I lashed my foot out and hit the attacker. They yelped in pain and staggered back, giving me an opportunity to escape. As soon as I sat up, however, my vision swam and my head pounded. I collapsed back on my bed before I could move any further.

"Luke, what the hell!" a familiar voice grunted, and I turned to see Ashton clutching his side and glaring at me. "Why'd you kick me like that?"

"I thought that you were a robber," I said defensively. Even the sound of my own voice made me ill.

"We all have keys to each other's rooms, remember?" he said, showing me the card. "Idiot."

Oh, yeah. "Sorry," I mumbled. I pulled the sheets back over my head. "What are you doing here?"

"I brought you breakfast. You're welcome."

The thought of eating made my stomach flip. "No, thank you."

"You have to eat it, Luke. It'll help your hangover."

I peeked over the blankets. "What is it?"

"Coffee, avocado toast, and eggs."

"I'll have the coffee."

Ashton gave me one of his looks. "You need the protein from the eggs and the potassium from the avocado, too."

"I don't want them."

"I'm not leaving until you eat them."

I hesitated, but Ashton's stern gaze was making me feel worse than the hangover, so I eventually gave in. I forced myself to sit up and nibble on the flavorless and dry toast, washing it down with bitter coffee.

"What happened?" I asked groggily.

If it was possible, Ashton looked even more annoyed. "You really don't remember?"

I thought back to last night. "Bits and pieces."

"Well, let me give you a quick recap: You got smashed literally after I told everyone not to, you made out with Reese right in front of us, and you were constantly puking from that stupid game you played. By the way, you owe the Uber guy new upholstery."