Fatal Decision

"What happened? Am I in trouble?" I gulped, looking down at the phone that rested upside down on the kitchen counter. 

"No, there are just some problems with your schedule," my mom sighed. "You can't be in the top band, the top choir, and the Blended program, because all three of those are small, limited classes that are only offered at very specific times." 

"Well, what can I do about it?" I whispered, my heart racing with anticipation as my brain cooked up a series of awful possibilities. 

I could be demoted to a lower band...

I could be forced to leave Blended...

"Lucky for you, they can still move stuff around in the master schedule. She said your best option is to drop one of your Blended classes and take regular Language Arts instead. It would fix all your conflicts."

"Okay," I shrugged. It was just one class without Amanda, Megan, and Claire. I would be with them for almost the entire rest of the day. It couldn't be that bad.

I had no idea that I had just made a fatal decision. 

"Great, I'll tell the counselor," my mom smiled. "Thank you for being so flexible."

"No problem," I nodded, walking back up to my room to continue writing Glitches. I had already gotten to 79 on the Sci-Fi hot list, and I wasn't even halfway done with the book! I was really on a roll. 

Hey! My inner supervillain, whom I had recently named Queen Saralee, protested. You said I was going to be the villain of your book, not Amanda! Why does Amanda get to mess up Claire's WGO division and be the evil President?

I'm sorry, I'm trying, I just can't figure out how to incorporate you. 

Easy, the Ice Queen chuckled. Claire is secretly my daughter, her real name is Princess Viviana Sonoway Arystenn, Amanda is actually a double agent who supports the rebellion, and she was never evil, she was only obeying me!

Wait...what? I paused, trying to make sense of what my counterpart was saying. 

Forget it. You'd never understand, stupid human. Just let me write it. 

You want to write it? But wouldn't that be cheating? I mean, it's my book...

But I am you! Saralee snickered. I thought you figured that out when you named me after yourself. Now, stop complaining and let me write it. Let's see, big reveal at chapter thirty six, plot twist at forty three...she mused.

You better not mess this up! I warned. 

If anyone's messing this up, it's you. 

Thus passed the summer of 2015. Other than the occasional family get-together, day camp, and big argument with the stubborn, feisty spirit of my brain, A.K.A Queen Saralee, there was nothing out of the ordinary. 

A few weeks after the phone call, I even began to forget that the incident with the counselor had ever happened. It seemed so trivial in the jumble of things I had to do: keep in touch with friends, play the flute every day so I didn't get out of practice, extend my design for the Rainbow Loom purse using the second Loom I had gotten for my birthday, and shop for matching, glittery blue notebooks. 

A/N: This is the Rainbow Loom purse design I use, except my colors are different, and I have a Hello Kitty charm in the middle (don't judge, it was the first Rainbow Loom charm I could find

A/N: This is the Rainbow Loom purse design I use, except my colors are different, and I have a Hello Kitty charm in the middle (don't judge, it was the first Rainbow Loom charm I could find.)

As the date of schedule pickup approached, I was filled with pure excitement for the coming year. I thought nothing of my past conflicts. They had been fixed quite easily, right? 

Wrong. 

After all, as I would learn, sometimes the solution is more dangerous than the problem.