The Schedule Disaster

I tapped my foot impatiently as I stood in the long line to pick up my schedule and school supplies. 

Do you think we'll have classes with our friends? Queen Saralee asked. 

Well, of course we will. We always have plenty of classes with our friends! I replied confidently. 

But that conflict we had back in June might've messed something up...She trailed off as we reached the front of the line. 

Eh, it'll be fine, I shrugged. The counselor handed me my schedule and directed me to the back of the gym to get my school supplies. 

"Welcome back to school," she said disinterestedly as I turned over the schedule. 

Locker #B-186 

Combination (I'm not telling you my locker combination)

1- Language Arts

2- US History 

3- Honor Winds

4- Select Choir

5- PE

6- Algebra 1

7- Science

Not bad. I shrugged, tucking the paper into my pocket before running to the North campus to find my locker.

After successfully unlocking my locker and dumping my school supplies into it, I texted my friends to compare schedules. Luckily, I had been on vacation, so I had to come to late pickup. All of my friends would surely have gotten their schedules before me.

However, I was in for a huge disappointment. 

I only had two classes with Amanda and Claire, and just one with Megan. That was down from five, four, and three the previous year. 

I had been wrong when I thought my schedule conflict had been resolved. My single non-Blended class had completely skewed my schedule's path away from my friends'. 

Suddenly, locker decorations didn't matter to me anymore. I carelessly slapped my glittery blue wallpaper, mirror, dry erase board and miniature chandelier on the inside of my locker and ran to find my parents, begging them to take me home. 

"What's wrong?" My mom asked as I got into the car, flustered. 

"I'm going to be all alone next year! I have almost no classes with my friends!" 

"That's not so bad. You can always make new friends!" She chirped. 

I groaned in frustration. When would parents understand that once you get to a certain age, you can't just magically "make new friends" anymore. Things get pretty established when you've been with the same group of kids for years. 

Looking down at my schedule, I slowly crumpled it into a ball. 

This isn't fair. All of this is just because we're in the top band and the top choir. They can't punish us for being good! Queen Saralee protested. 

I know, I sighed. But it's just one year. We can get through it...we'll always have Wattpad! 

But even Wattpad wouldn't always be there for me. 

I didn't know it then, but my messed up schedule was only the beginning of my troubles.