how to save a life (p. 2 of 2)

Ryan took a deep breath as Dr. Martinez lifted the sheet from Brendon's face. "I know this is gonna be hard for you," the doctor said. "We can stop anytime."
"Bren," Ryan said, his voice tiny and weak. "You...can't be gone...I need you."
Ryan threw himself over his dead boyfriend, sobs of misery and anguish wracking his body. Luckily his daughter knew well enough to protest, and Ryan straightened immediately.
"Shit...I'm sorry, my Helena," Ryan murmured, stroking the cheek of his dead love. A tear slid down Ryan's cheek. "Brendon...I'm so sorry," Ryan cried, gently kissing the deceased boy on the mouth. Ryan took a steadying breath and stood up.
"Would...would I be able to take my daughter home yet?"
Dr. Martinez nodded. "She's perfectly healthy. Go be with your friends. Y'all need each other more than ever."
Ryan gave Brendon's lifeless hand one last squeeze then ran from the room, clutching his daughter to his chest.

Glory looked up as soon as she heard Ryan approach.
"I...I can't believe he's gone," the girl sobbed, trying to catch her breath.
The scene in the waiting room was beautifully depressing (some would compare it to A Streetcar Named "Desire"). This group of friends, uprooted by the sudden and unexpected loss of one of their own.
Ryan shifted his daughter onto one arm, so he could wipe his eyes.
"N-neither can I," Dallon said lifelessly, his grief taking the form of apparent apathy.
Gerard had barely been able to calm himself, but he knew he'd have to comfort his cousins; they'd been especially close with Brendon.
Seeing all of his dead boyfriend's close friends there, together, brought Ryan to gut-wrenching sobs. The group collectively looked in Ryan's direction. Any animosity they'd felt toward him previously had completely dissipated in the wake of Brendon's passing.
Glory wordlessly got to her feet and strode to where Ryan stood.
"Ryan...I'm so sorry," she whispered, a tear spilling down her cheek.
Ryan sighed and glanced at his daughter. "How can I possibly do this without him?"
Charlie walked over, then put her hand on top of Ryan's. "You're not alone."
Ryan slowly nodded, then froze. "Shit. Someone needs to tell Brendon's mom."
Gerard's eyes went wide. "I know it's not fucking gonna be me," he whispered, his eyes brimming with tears.
Ryan sighed. "I should call her," he said, pulling out his cell phone. He put in the number then waited.
"Hello?" Ms. Urie asked.
Ryan took a shaky breath. "Hey, Ms. Urie," he said.
"Oh. Hello, Ryan. How's Brend—" Ms. Urie stopped midsentence. "He had the babies, didn't he?"
Ryan started sobbing. "I'm so sorry, Ms. Urie," he cried. "Brendon's gone!"
There was a lengthy silence from Ms. Urie's end. "What the hell did you do to him?" Ms. Urie spat.
"N-nothing! I swear...there were complications with the delivery...he hemorrhaged. He's dead!!" Ryan bawled. The baby in his arms woke up and let out a shrill wail.
"I have to go. I'm so so sorry, Ms. Urie," Ryan said, ending the call.
"What's the matter, love?" he murmured, stroking his daughter's cheek.
"She might be hungry...let's all go back to my place," Dallon said. "Don't worry...the hospital gave us an infant carseat. It's in the car and set up."
Ryan looked skeptical. "Why the hell would I go to your place?"
"Um....about a month ago, Charlie and I bought a shit-ton of diapers and formula," Glory said with a nonchalant shrug.
"Oh...okay," Ryan said.