Chapter One!

The sun shines down. I can feel its warmth radiating on my face. The sun, though, is nothing compared to the sparkle in his eyes. His eyes are a soft but enchanting green with the lightest sprinkling of brown making them perfect to stare into for hours on end. We are walking down the sidewalk not a destination in mind. We don't need to be anywhere, we are just enjoying the moment. His hand is enveloping mine sending electric tingles through my fingertips and up my arm. He comes to an unexpected stop pulling me back when I continue to stroll on. He turns to me and pulls me close. His hand grabs my free one and he stands there holding it, playing with it. Then he looks into my eyes, and leans in his breath lightly dancing on my lips. Our lips brush and...

"Belle!!"

Her shrill, high pitched voice startles me and I jump up. The perfect dream ruined. Blankets fly everywhere as I struggle to get up. It happens like this almost every morning. I don't even need to set an alarm anymore. My step-mother does it just fine. Did I say step mother? I meant devil. No wait, she would probably make the devil hide under the blankets. I fumble around in the blindness of my dark room and manage to turn the light on and look at the clock. It says 5 o'clock in the morning. What on earth could she possibly need now? She hasn't been married to my father three weeks and she thinks I'm her maid!

"Belle!...Belle!" Her voice is nasally and is one of those voices that just gets on your nerves. Not two seconds later, does Matilda decide to barge in.

"Belle! I called you five minutes ago what are you still doing in bed?" I can't believe no one else has heard her screams. I sleepily turn to look at the door. Matilda is dressed in athletic shorts that are skin tight and an old t-shirt. In her hands she has little weights, and her ear-buds are already plugged in. Her greying hair is up in a neat ponytail and though she's dressed to go for a run she has about a ton of makeup caked on her face. Not exactly the prettiest sight to see in the morning. When she sees me acknowledge her existence she starts to run in place lifting her weights one at a time.

"Come on, I need you to hold my water bottle. We leave in thirty chop chop." After that she turns and jogs away. "Yeah sure! I'll go, it'll be loads of fun thanks for asking!" I think to myself. I get up and make my way to my window opening the curtains. I step out onto my balcony and place my elbows on the rail. Why couldn't she just take Jacob or Ashley?

See, about a week after My father and Matilda announced the "Big News" my father and I moved from our perfect, cozy house in the middle of town to Matilda's huge mansion. My old house was just enough for me and my dad and if you ask me I think he misses it. Matilda's isn't far from my old house by any means but it's still a big change. It's just outside the busiest part of town and is considered the "upper class" section of town. Lets just say "upper class" is a slight understatement. All of the houses here have at least two stories and more than not have huge yards too. And I'm sure all of the residents here have their own live in maids and chefs. The driveways of the mansions are all either made of cobblestone or brick our's isn't much different. At the entrance to our "humble abode" we have a tall iron gate. I really don't get the point because it always stays open and no one ever really bothers to close it. When you go through the gate, you are greeted with nicely kept landscaping lining the long, expensive, cobblestone driveway. Once you round the corner you're greeted with a huge brick house and a big set of stairs preceding the even larger porch. Matilda is definitely blessed with her grandfather's inheritances. God knows she hasn't worked a day in her life.

My room  isn't really much larger than my old one. I think the only perk would be my barely full walk in closet and the balcony I was taking advantage of now. I looked over the stunning backyard. The lake had a little cloud of dew that was enhanced by the rainbow of colors coming from the rising sun. The image before me made me feel like I was in a fairy tale, a page torn out, existing on its own. A quiet breeze crept up on me and sent goose bumps down the side of my arms. I took in the scene one last time. With a deep intake of fresh air I went inside to start another day.

~~~~

Matilda. Saying her name feels like poison on my tongue. Sometimes I wish I simply said "NO! I don't want you to marry her!" when my dad informed me that he was going to propose to her. But that would have been selfish. I wasn't about to get in the way of him getting another chance at love. He had gone through too much when my mom unexpectedly left. My father thought the world of matilda, but he was blind to how she liked to treat me. Matilda, simply saying, wasn't a good mother.

Today on her "run" --which lasted all of a block and a half-- gave me some great news. "Great" definitely being her choice of words because in no way was the news good or great, well for me anyway. She informed me that Jacob and Ashley and herself were invited to one of her friend's parties whom lived out of state. She said that I could have come along but she thought I had homework to do. Ha! Yeah sure. I never have any homework to do. She basically said "your just not important enough to show off". Thanks 'mom', I really appreciate it. So as of right now I'm spending the rest of the week and weekend alone, in a big house. Fun. Just then Matilda came barging into my room.

"Belle honey," Could she at least learn to knock? " Jacob, Ashley and I are leaving now"

"Oh, well have fun." I said with the undeniably fake enthusiasm. She seemed not to notice, though that wasn't a surprise.

 "Oh wait I have something for you" she added as she glided across the room to my bed and sat down. Intrigued of her actually getting me a surprise my ears perked up and I turned myself so I was facing her ready for my surprise. "Your father talks about how responsible and hardworking you are, so I thought I'd give you this." She said warmly, like a mother would, with a soft smile on her face. Matilda handed me a folded up piece of light blue pad paper. It wasn't the most amazing gift but it's the thought that counts right? As she was getting up off the bed and heading to the door I began opening it. "Bye Belle," she reached for the door handle "see you Sunday night!"

With that she was gone. I had fully unfolded the paper now, eager to see what it was. I looked down. My heart sank. I skimmed over the feminine scrawl. Matilda: The Evil Witch. Those were the right words. She left me a list of chores! Chores. That was my surprise. That was my parting gift. Chores. Anger flowed through my veins. While she and the twins were off gallivanting who knows where, and my dad was out of the country on business I have to stay home and do stinkin' chores! The rest of the week and weekend I would be doing chores. Not Fun. I lifted up off my bed still fuming about my unruly step mom. I looked at my clock seeing it read 6:30am I headed for the bathroom to get ready for school. Maybe they'd disapear in the eight hours I was gone.

That would be a dream come true..