Chapter Four: Who Knew?

Wow. There were a million different ways to describe what I was feeling, but those simple three letters summed it up more than any elaborate word could. I woke up feeling the pain of all the memories that flooded my brain after seeing Dick.

I knew he would do anything to stop me, but how much more could he take before everything I did became unforgivable? Or was I already past that point?

I felt a shiver run down my back as I climbed out of the small twin bed I had used the past few nights. The no blanket thing was really taking its toll. But, I didn't want to go out and risk another encounter. Slade for sure couldn't show his face around town. Anyone who didn't live under a rock has seen his face, and mostly with the tagline of criminal.

The two of us have been surviving on just water and assorted canned goods. Slade had the apartment somewhat stocked in case anything like this were to happen. I guess he really did come prepared, which to be honest scared me. I knew then he meant what he said and I knew he had multiple ways of making it happen.

But after about a week of being holed in this tiny apartment the two of us were close to ripping the others heads off. I had to be careful around him though, he had something pretty high over my head and I didn't want to chance it. Not this time.

"Why don't you be a good girl and go fetch us some goods?" he spoke roughly in my direction. Slade then tossed me a stack of hundred dollar bills. One of the many I had stolen for him. I remember it well.

He and I were in Central City, making our rounds. This was about two months after he came and got me. That was a whole other story.

I had my mission from him, and I wasn't going to let anything stop me. Not even a couple of speedsters.

"Hello? Are you even listening Morgan? Always zoned out in the damn mind of yours," he yelled. Pushing himself out of his chair, the legs scraping the wood floors beneath it. "Now go and get us some damn supplies. Or do I have to remind you of the consequences again?"

"No you don't," I said softly. I grabbed the money hurriedly, threw on a black hoodie over my white t-shirt, reached for my converses and left without another word. I pulled the hoodie over my head, letting it encircle me. I didn't want any conflict today, not with Dick. I don't know what I would do if I saw him again. I might tell him everything. Risk everything, and I couldn't afford to do that.

I slowly made my way down the sidewalk, I almost ducked at every small noise. Thankfully it was getting close to nighttime and it was easier for me to hide my face. Not that anyone other than Dick were looking for me.

When I finally made it to the store I shopped quickly and efficiently not wanting to be out longer than I needed to be. I turned to head towards the register but I ran straight into someone. I toppled over and everything that was in my hands flew everywhere.

"Hey watch it," I told them, barely looking up. My anger almost getting the better of me. That's exactly what I didn't need to happen.

"Sorry babe, I was in a rush. I don't know how I didn't notice you though," he said smoothly, offering me his hand. I made eye contact with green eyes, and quickly noticed bright red hair. Something that instantly made me think of one of the speedsters I faced in Central. If I was right I was praying he wouldn't notice me.

"Oh it's okay, I'm in a rush myself," I told him, reaching for my belongings on the floor. I brushed past him, making my way to the register. Trying not to make anymore eye contact with him.

"Well I hope I can run into you again," he said cooly before leaving me be. If he had recognized me he didn't show any signs of it. Maybe, just maybe he didn't realize who I was.

My foot tapped impatiently the entire time I was in line, and I basically sprinted out of there the second it was over, almost knocking the display of fruit down as I went. So much for not being noticed.

As soon as I got to the apartment I threw everything on the small kitchen table. I gave Slade a look of 'next time you're doing it' and then sulked to  my room.

My time here was becoming more of a problem every second we stayed. I had no idea what we were even doing here in the first place, or why Slade wanted to stay for so long. But I knew I couldn't run, I knew I couldn't ask for anyone's help. 

Or it would be the last of my parents.

~A/N Hey everyone so sorry for the lack of updates but here is the new chapter. Hope everyone enjoyed it. Also I know everyone may be confused because her parents died in the last book, but don't worry all will be revealed soon.~