Chapter Fifteen: New Start?

I paced back and forth in the room, chewing away at a hangnail. There was something not right about all of this, there was something I needed to know for sure. Who was right in all of this? Was Slade telling me the truth? Not likely. But, could Bruce and Dick be telling me what they need to to get me on their side? Who knows.

I have been away way too long, there was no way of knowing who was right. Not until I saw some proof. Something I could tell, concrete evidence that my parents were really gone.

Then I heard a knock at the door, before the door opened to reveal Bruce. He was in a suit, as if he was ready to go somewhere.

"Get dressed, I have something you need to see," Bruce said, leaving no room for questions. He tossed me a pair of jeans and an old sweatshirt, must have been some of the clothes I left behind.

I only nodded, throwing on the clothes as soon as Bruce left the room. I brushed through my hair quickly, it was now all the way down my back. I knocked on the door when I was ready, Bruce opened the door and lead me down the hallway.

I looked around the hallway, there was a family photo here and there. Something so that when Bruce had company they would think he could be a family man. There was a nice one of Bruce and Dick together, both smiling. Then, I saw another one, a little farther down, it was of Bruce and I. After Bruce became my legal guardian he had us take a photo, it was similar to the one of him and Dick, us both smiling as if nothing was ever wrong.

I couldn't believe he still had it hanging up. I continued to follow behind him, staring at the various pictures on the walls. Knowing with each passing one I screwed whatever good life I had here.

We walked out front, his car waiting for us. Bruce opened the door for me.

"Ladies first," he all but grunted, letting me slide into the perfectly polished leather seats. I got in, not sure where we were going. Bruce got in beside me, muttering an address to the driver.

"Isn't this technically kidnapping?" I asked him, crossing my arm in pure defiance. Sulking as I looked out the window, pretending he wasn't there. I looked liked a small child whose favorite toy has been taken away.

Bruce only remained silent as the car made its way down the crowded highway, I only felt farther away from where I needed to be. What if Slade knew I wasn't trying to fight my way out? Does it even matter? What if he was lying? Are my parents really dead? Was he only playing on my own emotions?

We arrived at a cemetery, I gave him a look warning him to choose what he said next carefully. I didn't want to be here.

"You know why we're here," he said to me, his voice firm.

"No I don't. Why don't you explain it to me Bruce?" I asked my voice giving me away as it wavered at the end.

I held in tears as I watched his face change, it was no longer sealed off. I could see that he was trying to help me. Even though I didn't want to be helped.

"You need to see for yourself," Bruce said, leading the way.

I followed behind him wordlessly. I didn't know what to say.

Then we came across what I was dreading as soon as I saw we arrived at a cemetery. My heart dropped as we came across matching headstones. I froze on the spot, I could feel Bruce's eyes on me as I stared at the headstones.

I stepped forward, running my hands across the engravings. The tears falling as I felt my world collapse around me. I knew they were gone. I knew they were. I just was holding onto something that could never be.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, knowing they would be disappointed in the path that I took. Even if they were alive they would have never wanted this for me.

I lifted myself from the ground, wiping the dirt from my jeans. I couldn't help but not make eye contact with Bruce as I made my way towards him. The tears still fresh on my cheeks.

"I'm sorry," I told him, unsure of what to say. Unsure of how to express myself and to show that I never wanted all of this to happen the way it did.

"If you thought your parents were alive," I started, but couldn't finish the sentence. I knew he would have never done what I had done.

"I would have done the same," Bruce finished for me, I looked at him as if I couldn't believe the words that came out of his mouth.

"You would have?" I asked, more tears spilling. I thought that they would never truly understand the actions I did. That I would never fully be able to get them to see my side of things.

"Yes I would," he said simply, looking past me at the grave stones. "But they're gone. But you're not alone Morgan."

I didn't say anything, only wrapped my arms tightly around Bruce. I sobbed as I gripped onto him, not letting go. I felt my shoulders shake as I felt the weight being lifted off of my shoulders. I repeatedly apologized as the tears flowed.

I felt comforted as I felt Bruce's arms hug me back, I knew I would always have him on my side.

I would always have a family.

-A/N hey everyone. So sorry for such a long delay in updates. I have been really blocked and not to mention super busy.

But I am hoping to do better and thank you all for reading and continuing to love this book. You're all awesome.

Don't forget to comment and vote! I love seeing your comments!-