Chapter Sixteen: Where Do We Go From Here?

I wandered into Dick's room when we came back to the mansion, he was sitting at his window sill. I knocked on the side of the door, interrupting whatever thought he was in.

"Hi," I said quietly, not sure how to come at him. I knew my eyes were probably still red and puffy from the graveyard.

"Hey," he said, his easy smile on his face. He got up, walking towards me, he was hesitant as he stepped towards me.

I instantly closed the distance between us, wrapping my arms around him, not letting go. I felt his arms tighten around me without hesitation. I felt such relief as he held me, although no more tears came. I was fresh out of those for a while.

"Are you okay?" Dick asked, still holding me. Neither of us letting go just yet, it was an embrace that was long overdue.

I closed my eyes as I nestled my face into his chest, still not sure what to think of the mess I had created, but I could only move forward now.

"I think I'm going to be," I said finally pulling away, looking into his eyes now. We both stood staring at one another, his smile still present on his face.

"I don't know how you've done it," I said, smiling sheepishly now, feeling shy all of a sudden.

"What do you mean?" he asked, sitting on the bed patting the seat beside him.

"I mean how you never gave up on me, even when it seemed hopeless. Any normal person would have quit long ago," I replied, feeling even more ashamed of how I treated one of the only people who've ever been on my side.

"I guess I'm not normal," he replied sarcastically, laughing a little at himself.

"Oh come on, I'm serious," I said to him, not wanting this to pass. I needed some sort of answer, no matter how selfish the answer was.

"I guess I just believed in you," Dick said simply, his easy smile making it hard not to smile back. "Does that ease your mind?"

"A little," I said softly, getting up from the bed now.

"Where are you going?" he asked me, standing himself now.

"To train," I replied as if this was obvious, I had been cooped up for too long and felt like I needed to stretch my legs. I was starting to feel like myself again, little by little.

"I don't know if that's a good idea," Dick replied, following me out of the room.

I turned around quickly, almost colliding with him.

"What do you mean it's not a good idea?"

"I mean, we no longer train there and that where we do train I don't know if you're the most welcome guest at the moment," Dick replied, arm outstretched to comfort me.

I only turned on my heels and kept walking towards the entrance to the Batcave.

"Well then show me where you do train now, I can take care of myself," I replied easily, although inside I felt like I had hit another wall.

"It's not that easy," Dick replied, grabbing my upper arm softly. I turned to face him, snatching my arm out of his grasp.

"What aren't you telling my Grayson?" I shot at him, my eyes narrowed as I spoke.

"It's just it's not only me, you, and Bats now," he started, I could see he was nervous as he scratched the back of his neck. Obviously a habit that hadn't gone away, though I was glad for the familiarity. "There's a whole other team now."

"And I'm not welcome," I finished for him in a huff, my arms were crossed.

I was angry, not that I could blame them, but just as I had made progress I went back two more steps.

"They'll come around," Dick said, trying to make me feel better. "I promise, but it has to be one day at a time. You can't go in guns a blazing."

I rolled my eyes at this, only for him to laugh.

"I don't think I come in guns a blazing," I said, smiling a little myself now.

"You know you do," Dick teased, his smile lighting his entire face now.

I couldn't help but be enraptured by this, to feel so warm and fuzzy again.

Who thought it could be possible.

Not after everything I've done, not after what I put them through.