Chapter Eight: Reality

"Morgan you saved us," my mother said to me, placing her hand on my cheek. Her smile was wide and bright. "We always knew you were meant for special things." 

"Our little girl, always trying to save the world," my father said as he came and hugged my mother from behind. 

"I missed you guys so much," I said, reaching out to hug them both. But, before my arms could ever make it around them, they were pulled back. I watched in horror as their smiles started dripping bright red blood. I heard a sickening laugh, one I had heard many times before. 

"Oh Morgan, you were always so gullible," Slade's voice mocked me. He appeared out of the shadows, his eye staring at me coldly. "You're just as weak as your pathetic parents." 

Then before I could make a move, he shot them both right in front of me. I let out a scream, not being able to contain myself. I lunged for Slade, who only evaporated in thin air. "Slade! I will kill you! I swear it!" 

Then I felt two hands grab me tightly, my eyes shot open. I frantically thrashed around, not wanting Slade to get his hands on me.

"Morgan its's okay, it's me," Dick said, his voice bring me back down to reality. I looked in his eyes, seeing nothing but concern and hurt. I knew mine must have looked like a madman's. He placed his hand in mine, I didn't have the energy to pull back. So I just let him comfort me. Dick gave my hand a squeeze, staring into my eyes once again. 

I could feel my breathing go back down to normal, I was no longer screaming. That nightmare seemed so real, too real. 

"Do you want to talk about it?" Dick asked me quietly, I almost didn't hear it. I gave him an incredulous look, not sure if he was trying to help or just get information. I narrowed my eyes, trying to figure this out. Would I be safe telling him? It wasn't like they were letting me free anytime soon, and now they had one of those damn collars around my neck. The one that wouldn't let me use my powers, and would give me a shock anytime I was out of line. Would Slade ever even know I told him anything? Was it worth the risk? 

"You think I want to tell you anything? You put me in this collar like I'm some kind of animal," I basically growled. I watched as he flinched at my tone of voice, I would have never talked to him this way. But things were different now, ever since Slade found me again. Ever since he told me he would give me my parents back, that he had never actually had them killed. No one but him and I knew this, he said if I told anyone who would kill them. For real this time. 

"You know we had no choice," he replied, not meeting my eyes anymore. I gave his hand a squeeze this time, I watched as his face lit up. There was confusion written all over but there was something else too, relief? 

"I don't believe that, but hey I'm a criminal now. Who can trust me?" I retaliated. I wasn't sure where I was going with this. I didn't want to hurt him anymore, but I also felt like I didn't have another choice. 

"Listen, I think we should talk Mo. There's a lot I want to tell you. Things I should have told you before you left. I-" Dick started but he was interrupted when the Batgirl walked in. She had a nasty snarl on her face, probably not too happy by what Dick was about to say. Even though I wasn't quite sure what he was getting at. For all I know he could've been telling me he hated me all this time and was only trying to help me to clear a guilty conscience. 

"They need us," the girl spoke, her words short and clipped. She never took her glaring eyes off of me. If looks could kill, well lets say I wouldn't be quite so smug right now. I must say I enjoyed watching her squirm. 

"Tell them I say hi," I told her, smiling as large as I could. Then I watched as her eyes flashed to the little black remote on the table by the door. She grabbed it in an instant, before Dick could stop her. 

I felt my whole body spasm as shock waves went throughout my whole body. I could hear my own voice screaming, but it was like it wasn't even me. I watched out of the corner of my eye as Dick snatched the remote from her hand and dragged her out of the room.

"You bitch!" I screamed, still slightly shaking from the shocks. 

~DICK'S POV~

"What's your problem?" I shouted at Barbara, as soon as we were out of the room. I turned and looked out the one way mirror. I flinched as I watched Morgan still shaking from the experience, as she screamed profanities at Barbara. 

"She deserved it," Barbara replied, looking at her fingernails. She acted like she couldn't have been bothered. 

"Well when she gets back at you, and she will, there may not be anyone around to stop her," I told her seriously. 

She rolled her eyes at me, not quite believing me. But, I did see a flash of fear cross her eyes. 

"What did the team need?" I asked her, not wanting to be alone with her for another moment. 

She turned and smiled at me, mischievous look on her face. "Well I may not have told the whole truth. It was just me who wanted to talk to you. I just wanted to see if maybe we could re-spark our relationship. I miss you."

I stopped her hands as she went to wrap her arms around me.

"Babs, don't. You know why we ended things. I was very clear," I told her sternly, glancing through the one way mirror once more. 

"Dick are you still hung up on her? She's a criminal! I know you think you can save her, but it obviously runs in the family! Little miss princess in there will never be good, I have a hard time believing she ever was. Are you sure she didn't just play you?" she asked me, her eyes staring hard at Morgan through the mirror. I could feel the hatred radiating off her body. 

"Just leave Barbara," I replied shortly. I didn't need this from anyone, let alone her. 

"Listen, if you ever need some uh, companionship, you know where to find me," she whispered in my ear before sauntering off. 

I knew that wouldn't be the last time she came after me.