Chapter 11

Rose's PoV

When I woke up everything was a little fuzzy. Tanner's death had to be a horrible nightmare, didn't it? There was no way Adam would ever be able to capture Tanner in the first place. I looked around confused as to where I was. It was a small windowless room with a bed, tv, and walled off toilet. I wrote the whole Tanner thing off as a nightmare not wanting to look more into it.

I looked down at my arms though and saw red marks on my arms. They matched the straps that were on the chair I was strapped to where I was forced to watch Tanner die. My heart sunk, tears pricked my eyes. It wasn't a dream after all. Tanner was actually gone. I started bawling, not able to hold back the tears. I was completely heartbroken. It felt like someone ripped out my heart.

I don't know how long I cried. It seemed like an eternity. After awhile, I started feeling numb. I spent the next couple hours going from crying to straight faced and silent. Every time I thought about Tanner, it broke me down all over again. Eventually I had cried myself dry. The door to the room started to open, but I just sat there and stared at the wall.

"Well, I see you're finally awake. Too bad about Tanner, hmm? Poor fellow must've been in a lot of pain." Adam's mocking voice said, walking closer to me.

I stayed silent, not removing my gaze from the wall. I could sense Adam's impatience, he expected me to answer him. There was no way I would give him the satisfaction. His hand roughly grabbed my chin and forced me to look at him. When he saw the look on my face, the anger etched on his face changed to a wide grin.

"My my... The look on your face says it all. I can see the despair in your eyes, even though you try to hide it. You have the look of a broken soul."

He released my face and I turned my gaze downward to the floor. My shoulders were sagging down and I probably did look broken. It definitely reflected how I was feeling on the inside. His excited voice interrupted my internal grieving.

"I think it's finally time, come. We have much to do." He started tapping his foot impatiently.

I saw no reason to fight anymore, the world was no longer beautiful and colorful. It was just dull and lifeless now. I stood up, keeping my gaze on the ground but following him out the door. When he walked I could feel his eyes on me every so often, checking if I was still obediently following him.

Eventually we entered a door and he stopped moving. I slowly looked up, wanting to see where we were. It looked like a lab of some sorts. There were vials and beakers scattered around the room which was incredibly white, almost everything was white of color. Footsteps fast approached us from the side. Suddenly a man with glasses and a large white lab coat was standing in front of us.

"I assume this is the White Wolf." He spoke in a fast, hurried voice. Like he had too much to do and no time to do it.

Adam let out a loud sigh. "I thought I told you to attend her first shifting." Adam spoke differently to this man. Usually Adam was very short tempered and took no shit from anyone in his pack. Yet his tone with this man was more scolding than anything.

"No disrespect Alpha, but I have far too much to do. Attending frivolous affairs such as that is not on my list of priorities."

"Fine. I'm only letting you off because you're the most useful person in my pack. Just try to make time for now on."

"We'll see. Anyways, I've almost perfected the device you requested. There's just a few more tests I need to run..."