Chapter 13

It was sundown. I was standing where he told me to meet him and he hadn't showed up yet. I was keeping my ears peeled, listening for any signs of movement. Suddenly a twig snapped to my left and my eyes snapped that direction. Adam walked out of the trees with his hands in his pockets. He slowly walked toward me and stopped when he was a dozen feet away.

"Nice to see you again. Lovely day today isn't it?" He threw his gaze up toward the sky.

"Cut the crap, where's Rose?" I snapped, feeling impatient.

"Don't worry, she's here. Pretty soon you'll be wishing she wasn't though." He said smugly.

Rose stepped out from the trees and walked to his side. Adam motioned toward her and she got into a fighting stance. Suddenly she lunged at me and started attacking me. She had me pinned on the ground quickly. Looking up I saw the clearing where all the humans were being held prisoner, and made no attempt to fight back. Rose stopped attacking, and Adam's annoyed face stepped into my view.

"What are you doing? Why aren't you fighting back? This is no fun at all." He grumbled.

"I refuse to fight back, unless you let those people go." I pointed toward his prisoners and he rolled his eyes.

"Fine, if that's the only way you'll fight back. I want your death to be a real show. To be able to watch you meet your end at the claws of your former mate." He gestured toward his pack and they released the humans. They all ran away from the clearing and vanished into the trees.

After they were all gone, Rose got off of me and walked a few feet in front of me. She waited for me to get up, and I did just that very slowly. She had a small grin on her face and was clenching her fists.

"Let's have some rules, that will be fun. How about... No shifting unless you're about to die. I'll have Rose just stay in human form. That is, until she manages to subdue you. I want nothing more than to see life leave your eyes as she rips out your throat with her jaws." Adam chuckled.

"Fine, whatever." I clenched my jaw.

Suddenly Rose attacked me. Her punches and kicks were fast and sudden. He must've been training her a lot because she was pretty strong. I just continuously dodged each attack. I wasn't planning on fighting back, I would never hurt her.

As we fought we slowly made our way deeper into the woods. I was trying to analyze her, to find the microchip. It has to be somewhere on her back because it wasn't on her front. I quickly shape-shifted into my wolf. I needed the strength advantage so that I could take her down.

I jumped onto her back and knocked her to the ground. She had landed on her stomach and I quickly used this time to search for the chip. I used one of my large paws to push her hair away from her neck. That's when I spotted it, the microchip. It was a bump under her skin and there were stitches surrounding it.

I steadied my claw while she fought underneath me. I tried to extract it, but it was almost fused to her skin. Adam must've seen what I was trying to do because suddenly she shifted. She threw me off of her and I landed in the river, being pulled by the fast moving current. I was carried downstream and Rose was running along the bank following me. The sound of loud, thundering water filled my ears. I managed to jump out of the water right before it went over a waterfall.

I looked down the cliff to follow the waterfall. It was a very high drop, with sharp rocks on the bottom. Even as a werewolf it was almost impossible for anyone to survive the fall. Rose appeared out of nowhere and circled me. She would snap or lunge at me, and I would take another step closer to the edge.

The sound of clapping filled the air and Adam walked into view. "It was a valiant effort. You're clearly outmatched here, it's time to give up." He eyed the waterfall behind me. "I saw you try to remove the chip, that isn't going to happen. I think you falling to your death is even better than her ripping out your throat."