Chapter 16

A few weeks later

I slowly opened my eyes, yawning loudly. I looked around the small hospital room I was in. Tanner was sleeping peacefully in a chair beside me, snoring loudly. When he brought me to the pack doctor, he was freaking out. I had some broken bones and some bruised bones. Since I was pregnant my bones healed slower than normal.  Of course the very first thing I had asked was if the baby was okay. They assured me that the baby was fine, which made me so relieved.

If I had fallen stomach first on the water, then things would've changed. The doctor was happy that my first instinct was to protect my baby. Today I was going to be released from the pack doctor. Tanner was super exhausted lately, he'd been trying to hunt down Adam constantly. All he did now was either track Adam, or sit by my bedside. He blamed himself for what happened, upset that he didn't get there sooner.

I looked down at my sides. Finn and Bryce were sleeping on my bed as well. It was big enough for them to lay on it as well. They spent most of their time in my room, keeping me company when Tanner was gone. I was trying to spend plenty of time with them, they were going to start preschool tomorrow. In town there was a large school building. It contained every grade, from Preschool to 12th grade.

Bryce opened his eyes and looked up at me. "Mommy!" He exclaimed loudly. It woke up both Tanner and Finn.

"You ready to finally go home?" Tanner asked me happily.

"Of course, I have to make sure I can drop my boys off at preschool tomorrow." I smiled cheerfully at the twins.

"Yay mommy!" Finn yelled, hugging me tightly.

I chuckled, and then the pack doctor walked into the room. "You can leave now, Luna. You're all healed and ready to go home."

"Thank you doctor." Tanner said, shaking his hand.

It was policy that I had to leave in a wheelchair even though I could walk. Tanner wheeled me out and the twins walked beside me. We got into Tanner's truck and drove home. The way home was silent. I had questions about Adam, but didn't want to scare the kids.

When we got back to the pack house I put the twins down for a nap so I could talk to Tanner alone. I pulled him into our bedroom and sighed loudly.

"Have you found out anything about Adam?"

"Yes and no. We know he's still alive, but we aren't sure who he's with. At this point we suspect he's with rogues. His old pack is being run by his brother right now so that's out of the question."

I ran my hand through my hair. "We need to do something Tanner. He threatened the twins..." I started to break down a little as I said that.

Tanner opened his arms and enveloped me in them. "I know. Don't worry, he won't get anywhere near them. I've had guards supervising them 24/7."

"Okay good." His words calmed me down a bit. As long as they had watchful eyes on them I felt better.

"I also want to keep some guards on you as well, okay? I don't want anything to happen to you again. Until we know the threat is taken care of permanently."

I didn't like the idea of having someone watching me all the time but I knew it had to be done. "Okay, as long as you want me to I will."

"Thanks love." Tanner said, kissing my forehead.

Suddenly there were loud yells coming from outside. It sounded like absolute chaos was going on. Aaron burst through the door suddenly, startling me.

"Alpha, the west border is being attacked."
He exclaimed breathlessly.