Harper and Cory

Chapter 2 – Harper and Cory

I headed to the library, as I had been for the past week. They open it early, and I go in there until lessons start. Our school library is not like most school libraries. Most have an open-plan room with a modern front desk and little wooden shelves dotted around.

Ours however, was old-fashioned and massive. With rows and rows of books, a lot of them very old. First years weren’t allowed to look at the really old books and me and Lela used to get excited for when we would be able to look at them this year. But Lela isn’t here and I have nobody to share the excitement with.

I chose a book titled ‘Little Women’, which looked quite old with a leather case. I settled down in one of the many chairs and began to read. This was the best time of my day, where I could zone out from my world and enter into somebody else’s.

Soon, the bell rang and I had to place the book back on the shelf. I would have taken it out, but I knew I would have been late to French. I sighed as I rested my bag on my shoulder, then I strolled off to French class.

French class, the absolute worst class ever. I sit right in front of Harper and Cory, I swear Madame Carlowe did it on purpose. She hates me. It’s only because I’m not good at French and I hate participating in language classes.

I took my seat quickly and layed out my homework in front of me. Madame Carlowe stared at me with her little beady eyes and her mouth twitched when she saw the smudgy marks that the rubber had left on my paper.

I stared straight ahead at the board, dreading the moment Harper and Cory would burst through the door. Soon enough I heard Harper’s evil cackle as she neared the door and braced myself for what was to come.

Cory and Harper burst in through the door, holding hands, laughing. Harper tossed her blonde hair over one shoulder and grinned at Cory. Cory winked and they both took their seats behind me. Madame Carlowe was handing out textbooks of course, so it gave Cory and Harper some time to torment me.

“Hey, hey Clarrie! Where’s your friend, Clarrie? Has she left you?” sneered Harper, leaning forward in her chair.

I gritted my teeth and forced myself to just stare at the wall.

“Clarrie! Clarrie! Did your friend leave you? Did she?” said Cory, laughter in his voice.

“Yeah, did she leave you? Because a lot of people seem to leave you, don’t they? For instance your Dad ran away, he probably couldn’t stand the sight of you,” said Harper, her voice venomous.

"Yeah and your Mum died. She probably killed herself because of you," laughed Cory.

I had to turn around then, they had gone too far.

“You don’t know me. So just shut up okay?” I said, glaring at both of them.

“Ooh, get you! I know enough about you to hate you,” said Harper, laughing.

“Just leave me alone,” I mumbled, turning back to my work.

French dragged on and on, and I could hear Harper and Cory sniggering behind me. Madame Carlowe seemed determined to embarrass me today. She constantly asked me to give my answers, even though she knew they were wrong.

Eventually she let us go, and I ran out ofclass, making sure to get out before Cory and Harper.