Dave

Chapter 3 – Dave

The rest of the day dragged and throughout classes I just stared at the clock the whole time. Waiting for the last bell so I could run to the front gate and Aunt Tanny could drop me home.

Aunt Tanny was allowed an hour off to drop me back home and then she went back to the salon until five. The last lesson of today was Maths, and the little red hand of the clock seemed to torment me. The more I stared the slower it ticked and I nearly got up and cheered when the bell went.

Only Cory was in my Maths class, but he was on the other side of the room, so I wasn’t bothered by him. I packed up my stuff, and then hung my bag on my shoulder. I turned the corner, but stopped because Cory and Harper were kissing there.

I spun around briskly, hoping they hadn’t seen me.

“Oi, Clarrie!” I heard Cory yell, but I walked quickly away. I got to the gates and saw Aunt Tanny’s car. She honked the horn and I sprinted in and sat down in the passenger seat.

We pulled onto the road and I let my head loll back onto the window.

“How was school?” asked Aunt Tanny, as usual.

“The usual,” I said, sighing.

“Erm Clarrie, I won’t be back ‘till late tonight,” said Aunt Tanny, her cheeks colouring.

“Why?” I said, turning to face her.

“I have a… er… well, a date,” she said, staring straight ahead.

“Oh, cool, who is it?” I said, smiling but not meaning it.

I knew Aunt Tanny would find a guy sooner or later, but I hadn’t exactly prepared myself for it. I don’t want a man interrupting my way of life. I hate change. I don’t want him to take away my Aunt Tanny or change the house or ANYTHING.

“A client at the salon. His name’s Dave Arnoldson and he is a painter/decorator,” said Aunt Tanny, blushing.

“A client! What a scandal! Where are you two going?” I said.

“He’s taking me out to dinner. I should be back about 11ish,” she said.

I nodded and wished her good luck. We continued the rest of the journey in silence. I think I was more anxious about the date than her; I wanted things to go well for Aunt Tanny, but I sort of wanted her to figure out he wasn’t ‘that’ guy, so we could carry on as normal.

Aunt Tanny dropped me off outside the house.

“Will you be okay?” she said, tucking a strand of flyaway hair behind her ear.

“Yeah, of course, good luck,” I said, smiling slightly.

“Thanks, I’ve got clothes in the back. I’ve got my phone, so text me if there are any problems. I will be back 11ish,” said Aunt Tanny, shifting in her seat.

“Sure, have a good time,” I said half-heartedly, then headed inside.

I dumped my bag on the side and trudged up the stairs to get changed out of my heavy school uniform.

I flumped down on my bed and ran my hands along my Mum’s old patchwork blanket. I missed her a lot, I wish she was here to talk to and cuddle up to. I mean don’t get me wrong, I love Aunt Tanny but she just isn’t motherly.

She doesn’t know I like having my hair played with, I can definitely not talk to her about boys and I can’t cuddle up with her when I feel sad. As much as I want to, she just isn’t Mum.