Desperation

*Author's Note*

Inspired by 'Yamaha' by Delta Spirit

********

I jerked in my library chair as I came back to reality. Harper was standing over me, her mouth twisted into a tight sneer. Her friends were standing around her, leaning against the shelves, there hips stuck out as sluttish as they could. Chewing gum and just staring at me.

"What's that?" said Harper frowning at me and pointing at the book.

My hands were shaking as I slipped the book into my bag.

"Just a book," I said my voice unsteady.

I forced my legs to stop shaking and stand up and just walk away. But Harper had other ideas. She gripped my shoulder and slammed be back down into the chair. I could feel myself sweating with fear but I ignored it and gritted my teeth.

"Let go," I hissed, causing her friends to laugh like it was the most hilarious thing they ever heard.

"No, not until you tell me what book your reading," said Harper, pulling my shirt collar upwards so I looked her in the eyes.

Up close I could see a desperation in her eyes, something that scared me. Why does she need to know what I'm reading?

"It doesn't matter, let me go," I repeated, my eyes blazing and my fear being replaced with anger.

"Hannah! Chloe! Grab her wrists!" yelled Harper.

If it was any other library, you would be able to blatanly see this, but of course, ours had so many hidden corners. One of which I wished I hadn't sat in.

I struggled against Hannah and Chloe's grip and managed to break free. I grabbed my bag and flew past Harper and the others. But not before Harper could throw out a punch that hit me just below my eye. I cried out at pain, but forced myself to run away, out the door and down the stairs.

Luckily, none of them followed me, so I found a corner behind the stairs and collapsed  to the ground, my eyes threatening tears. What if she'd hit me in the eye? Would I be blind? I took deep breaths to steady myself. I thought about going back to the library but then I realised it was a stupid idea. Unless I wanted to get beaten to a pulp.  

I decided to just wait out English, I wiped away tears angrily with my sleeve. I kept my hand on my bag, where my book was. I could feel the heavy leather cover under my fingers and it comforted me. Lloyd was there.

I took the time to think of how Lloyd could possibly get into a book. Black Magic was at the top of my list. I didn't think it was possible, but I'd felt Lloyd. Felt his pulse, felt the salty tears down his cheek, felt the warmth of his arms around me. I didn't want to think that wasn't real. Harper's desperation scared me, but I decided to put it aside. The bell trilled above me and I wandered off to my next class, careful to avoid Harper and her clique.