Rain

Chapter 4 – Rain

I soon got off my bed and stopped feeling sorry for myself. I got into my comfy trackies and oversized jumper, then rammed my feet into my big fluffy slippers.

Harsh September rain tapped on my window and I stared out at the fields around. Sheep and cows grazed happily on the hilltops and crows darted in the sky. I smiled; I like the rain it makes me feel lucky to be indoors.

I tottered off downstairs and fished out my homework from my bag. I only had French, Maths and Science to do. French was to revise for the next vocab test, Maths was to finish off my work on repeated patterns and Science was to write a paragraph on how to save the polar bears.

Easy peasy and I finished in less than an hour. I placed it in my homework draw by the door and then jumped onto the big blue sofa. I sighed happily and tried to enjoy the peace and quiet before tomorrow’s school day.

I switched on the TV and started to flick through all the channels. I settled on a murder mystery drama and went to pour myself a drink. I watched that for a while, occasionally getting angry at the characters for missing out clues or evidence.

I got hungry about five-ish so went and made myself some noodles. Then I just lounged around for a while, waiting for Aunt Tanny to come home.

I must have dozed off because when I looked at the clock it was ten forty-five. Aunt Tanny should be back soon.

A few minutes later, I heard the front door click open. I got up of the sofa and stumbled into the kitchen. Aunt Tanny was there, with a huge beaming smile on her face.

“How was it?” I said hesitantly.

“Fabulous, marvellous, brilliant!” exclaimed Aunt Tanny, eyes shining in what seemed like disbelief.

“So, do you like him?” I said, perching on a chair around the kitchen table.

“Yes, almost definitely. I have Dave’s number now as well. Oh, and I forgot to tell you, Sandy from the salon is having her hen party tomorrow night. She wants me to sleep at the hotel too. I was looking for a babysitter and I couldn’t find one. But then I was talking to Dave and he said he would be more than happy to look after you,” she said, grinning.

“Oh… er… great,” I said, hoping I didn’t sound sarcastic.

“Good good, now off to bed Clarrie,” said Aunt Tanny, giving me a quick hug.

I slumped upstairs and got changed into my pyjamas. I made sure all my uniform was on the hanger and then climbed into bed. Rain still lashed at the windows and I slowly drifted off to sleep, listening to the soothing rain.

Story of UsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara