The Meeting

Chapter 6 – The Meeting

I awoke, or at least it felt like that, but the wrong way around. Like I’ve woken up to the dream, not reality. I blinked, opening my eyes and sitting up.

I appeared to be in a forest. A canopy of green leaves stretched out above my head, making sunlight dapple the coarse soil I was sitting on.

A twig snapped behind me and I jumped up, turning around and preparing myself for what was to come.

“Blimey, school uniform is rather drab nowadays,” said a voice behind me.

I pivoted round and there stood a boy, in a large white shirt, beige trousers and big, black leather boots.

“Who are you? Where am I?” I asked, panic rising.

“It’s okay you’re safe, you’re okay. I am Lloyd Thompson,” he said, smiling warmly.

Lloyd had neat blonde hair that fell just short of his eyes. His eyes were a deep blue, the colour of the ocean and were framed by long, curling lashes.

“Where are we?” I asked again.

“In the book. I am trapped here; you could say I was a living ghost. I know this is not my time,” he said.

“But you are alive? When are you from?” I asked, not hesitating to ask all my questions.

“I am very much alive; I am preserved within the very pages of the book we are in. Yes, I am human too and I need everything a human does. I am simply trapped here. I cannot remember when I am from. I think I was sleeping, until you came. Now I remember why I am here. Hopefully, the more you visit the more I will remember and then I can get out of here,” said Lloyd, his voice somewhat tired.

“You think I’m going to come again?” I said, eyes wide.

“Aren’t you?” said Lloyd.

“No, I can’t it’s too weird here. This is probably just a dream. I fell asleep in the library and this is all a dream,” I said, turning to run, but not knowing where.

“This is very much real. I have been here a long time. I need your help, I need you. I need you to help me remember who trapped me here. I need you to find the descendant of who trapped me because this curse has been passed down through my capturer’s generations and somebody out there, is still trapping me here,” said Lloyd holding my wrist.

“What’s in it for me?” I said, instantly regretting it.

“A friend,” said Lloyd smiling and then he held out his hand. I shook it and smiled too.

“What is your name?” said Lloyd, gesturing for us to walk onwards.

“Clarrie, Clarrie Walker. It’s short for Clarissa, but I hate that name,” I said, taking off my school heels.

“It’s a very nice name,” said Lloyd, smiling.

“Thanks,” I said, politely.

As we walked, I skimmed my fingers along the knobbly bark of the oak trees. Looking up in awe at the colossal height of them.

“So, you’ve heard about me. Now, tell me all about you,” said Lloyd, stopping at a small grassy clearing and then sitting down.

“You hardly told me about you, you just told me you were trapped inside a book and can’t remember why,” I said, bluntly.

“I suppose, but I’m sure your life is much more interesting,” said Lloyd. 

I laughed and shook my head. My life is definitely not interesting.

“Please. I want to know what life is like now,” said Lloyd coming closer.

“Okay, okay. Well, I’m 13 and I go to Langley Academy…” I said, but then Lloyd interrupted me.

“Wow! It’s still going!” he said.

“Well duh…why else wouldn’t I have said it? I’ll just give you bulletpoints of my life. My Dad ran away, my Mum died of cancer,” I said, frowning.

“Excuse me, but what is cancer?” said Lloyd.

“It’s… a… it’s a disease that affects mostly all parts of your body. She had brain cancer and died from a tumour, that put pressure on her brain,” I said, my voice shaky.

“I’m sorry to hear that. But Clarrie my memory seems to be strengthening. I can remember why I’m here. A girl trapped me here, of jealousy I believe,” said Lloyd

“That’s impossible,” I said shaking my head.

“Well you’re here now and I’m real enough,” he said.

He reached out and took my hand, then made my fingertips touch his cheek. Lloyd's skin was warm and he guided my fingers to his pulse.

He was real alright, he was alive.

"I should be getting back. Lessons are probably about to start," I said, reluctantly.

"Thank you Clarrie, will I see you again?" said Lloyd, standing up.

"Yes, I'll come back as soon as I can," I said and then Lloyd pushed my shoulders and I fell...