Story Of Us

Chapter 5 – Story of Us

“Clarrie! Clarrie!” yelled Aunt Tanny.

I woke to her shouting, which I thought was very unusual because my alarm usually… my alarm. I completely forgot I had broken it yesterday morning.

I groaned and glanced at the clock on my wall. I breathed a sigh of relief when I realised that I wasn’t late. Aunt Tanny didn’t hear my alarm this morning either, so she must have decided to wake me up.

“Yes Aunt Tanny! Sorry, I broke my alarm yesterday and completely forgot about it! Sorry!” I yelled as loud as my morning voice would go.

I got up and dressed quickly, then jumped down the stairs for breakfast.

“Morning,” I said, taking the toast Aunt Tanny had made for me.

“Morning. Remember Dave is coming to look after you. He’ll be here around ten-ish tonight. Can you get tea yourself?” said Aunt Tanny.

“Of course,” I said, really not looking forward to meeting Dave.

Aunt Tanny dropped me off as usual and I tottered off to the library as usual. Mrs Harbaar, the librarian, greeted me with a smile as I entered the library.

Every time it took my breath away, the intricately sculpted shelves, the scent of old paper and the rows of books, towered like a great monument.

I went straight to the old books and started running my fingers along the spines. I stopped at one book and tugged it out, but another book slipped out from behind and fell on the floor.

I put back the book I had taken out and picked up the book on the floor.  It was covered in shiny black leather and had a small catch in the center.

I opened the catch and tried to blow off some of the thick dust it was encased in. I opened it to the first page and written in swirly, neat handwriting it wrote, ‘Story of Us’.

I touched the joining of the pages, where they met and wondered why there were no words there. Quick as a flash, a warm hand, seeming to be coming from inside the book, closed around my fingers and tugged.

I went to scream, but I noticed words under the title, it read: ‘Be still, don’t make a sound, I won’t hurt you, I just need help.’  

The hand then tugged harder and I felt myself impossibly tumble into the book.