Chapter 5: Another Pack

When Jeff woke up in the morning, he felt something was wrong. He soon found out why. There was a huge wolf that was somewhere in between the size of a wolf and the size of a bear. He was standing over two black wolves one of which was Shadow, the other had a white tail-tip and emerald green eyes. He was other-wise black. The wolf was small in stature, but not small enough to be a pup.

"Oh hi Jeff, glad you could join us," the large wolf said. "This one here put up a bit of a fight, but Shadow of Night here took care of it." The wolf gestured towards the wolf with green eyes. "My name is Arafa. Me and Shadow of Night wish to know what you and your band of wolves is doing on our land."

"We are just passing through on our way to the mouth of this river," Jeff replied, indicating the waterway behind him.

"Oh, in that case, Rock Pack show yourselves," Arafa called to the surrounding trees. Shapes melted out of the trees to show that 20 wolves were hiding between the trees.

"You call that a pack?" Shadow said, who came to stand by Jeff.

"Oh, no, that's not all. Look up."

Jeff looked up to see more small wolves like Night. Almost 50 wolves were there, not including Jeff, Shadow, Julie, and Stella, who woke up to see what the commotion was about.

"We shall show hospitality to our honored guests!"

"We thank you for your kindness." Jackie replied.

"Shall we escort them back to camp?"Arafa asked the surrounding wolves.

"We would like to sleep outside of your camp, if you would allow us," Jeff said.

"Very well."

Jeff signaled to the others (Jackie, Shadow, and Stella)
to come close. He told them: "I don't trust this wolf."

"Neither do I," Shadow said "I have something to tell you guys."

-------------------------------------------

Later that day, after everyone went to their dens, Shadow told his story. "I was out one day on border patrol," he began, "Then I heard a branch snap and a wolf cry out in pain. I went to see if they were okay. The wolf was a she-wolf with a light, lithe body and dark red fur. Her name is Sunset." At this point a wolf like the one Shadow described walked into the clearing.

"Hello everyone," Sunset said.

"She had broken her leg when she fell and I helped her heal," Shadow said. "She stayed at the tree I found you three. Ever since I have been trying to stay in touch with her and see if everything here is going well. You see, Sunset is--"

"--the leader of a rebel group," Sunset finished for him...