Chapter 2

{Character in picture: Taylor Momsen as Jillian "Jill" Larson}

{Song in video: Blondfire - Where The Kids Are}

It was finally time for the camp fire, dinner, and snacks. The girls in my cabin and I followed Janee to an area close by a lake, where the camp fire was.

We went over to eat dinner first, and then sat on a few chairs close by the camp fire.

"So how long have you guys been coming here?" I asked Lupe and Jillian.

"We've been coming here for about five years," Lupe replied.

"Yup, we've been best friends ever since," Jillian said, grinning at her. "We live about half an hour away from each other, so we're not too far."

I told her where I lived, and we discovered I live about half an hour from them.

"That's so cool! We're not too far from each other at all," Jillian said, standing up and throwing away her plate. She got a few crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate to make s'mores. "You guys want some?" She asked us.

"Heck yes!" Lupe exclaimed, grabbing a few from Jillian.

"Sure," I said, grinning. I got a stick, and roasted my marshmallow over the fire. I looked around, and gasped when I saw the cute guy from earlier, who was now sitting across the camp fire from me. We briefly made eye contact, but I quickly looked down.

"Rowan, you're burning your marshmallow!" Lupe cried out.

I gasped again, quickly taking the stick and marshmallow out of the fire, only to discover that it was burnt. I groaned in disgust.

"I'll eat it." Lupe gave me a gleeful smile.

"Okay, here you go," I said, giving her the stick and marshmallow.

I glanced over at the cute guy again, who was now talking to a guy with curly black hair and glasses.

All of a sudden, an intimidating tall muscular guy got our attention. "Attention everybody!" He called out, and then everyone quickly went silent. "Good, now I want to go over a few rules."

Lupe and Jillian winced. I gave them a curious look. "Who's that guy?" I asked, pointing him out.

"That's Shane, the older teenage boys counselor, and don't point at him!" Lupe shrieked, giving me a warning look.

I quickly stopped pointing at him. "Oh okay..."

"Yeah, he's really strict and stuff. If you even look at him the wrong way, he will make you run laps or clean the dishes," Jillian said.

"He's scary," Lupe said, nodding her head.

I kept looking at him, and listened to him drone on about rules and consequences. I felt bad for the guys that had him as a counselor.

After he was done, everyone went back to talking, and making s'mores.

"Loopy! Jilly Bean!" I heard a girl's voice yell from the woods.

I turned around, and noticed Janee with a girl with medium sized dark brown hair walking towards us.

"Chantel!" Jillian and Lupe exclaimed together, and rushed up to hug her.

"We were wondering where you were!" Lupe said. She gave her a look. "Did you get lost again?"

Chantel started laughing. "Yup, I sure did. Every time on the first day of camp!"

Janee sighed. "Yeah, I found her wondering around," she said.

"Janee, you're the best! You always rescue me." She grinned.