Chapter 12

{Song in video: Passion Pit - Take A Walk}

"Okay, guys and girls, listen up!" Janee exclaimed to us, grinning. We stood in the usual spot where the camp fire usually was to see what plans we had going on today and for this week. "We're going to go camping in the woods tonight since it is cooler today and is supposed to stay like that. Guys will be assigned to one area, and the girls another."

"And there will be camp fires and no electronics while camping. It will be like real camping," Shane piped up.

There were a few groans and complaints, but Janee said, "Hey, it'll be so much fun! We'll have a camp fire, tell stories, and explore. It'll be awesome!" She grinned.

"Yes, I was looking forward to this!" Lupe exclaimed giddily.

"I knew it was coming up soon," Jillian said. She turned to me, continuing, "We've done this each year, and it's a lot of fun. Have you ever camped?"

"Yup, I have plenty of times. I love it," I said, nodding my head. "Our family goes camping every three or four months, except when it snows a lot."

"Oh okay, cool." She smiled.

"Do you even have a real camping outfit?" Chantel asked Jillian, snickering.

"Yes, I have, thank you very much." She jokingly rolled her eyes.

"You know she means you won't be wearing a bunch of accessories right?" Lupe said.

"I won't be wearing a lot of it, just some. It'll be camping chic," Jillian said, and we laughed.

"Camping chic? What exactly is that?" I asked her.

"Um, like casual and still somewhat fashionable. You'll see." She grinned.

I nodded, having a confused smile on my face. Why someone cared about fashion why they went camping was beyond me, but that was up to them.

A few minutes later, we were all dismissed to get our bags ready.

After we got our bags together, we went back outside to help out and pitch tents. Everyone either had an eight or ten person tent, so we split off into different groups. Lupe, Chantel, Jillian, and I were going to share half of the eight person tent since you can zip it in the middle if you wanted to. We were going to share with Helena and three other girls.

"Where should we pitch the tent?" Jillian asked us.

"Whatever we did the past few years," Chantel said, shrugging.

"I don't think anybody remembers that," Lupe said, and we laughed.

"What about here?" I suggested, pointing in the near distance. "There's a perfect place to have a campfire and to pitch the tent."

"Seems good to me," Chantel said, putting her bag down.

The eight of us pitched the tent, and finally after a while of figuring that out, we got the tent ready.

"I'm so glad this is over," Lupe said as we put our bags in the tent.

"Tell me about it," Chantel said.

"It is part of camping," I said, shrugging.

"That's true," Jillian said.

"Hey, how's the tent coming along?" Janee asked as she walked up to us.

"We got the tent together," Jillian replied.

"Awesome." She grinned, giving us a thumbs up. "In the meantime, you all can walk around and hang out."