Chapter 1

"Charlie, please call me. I need help, there is something I need to show you." I spoke into the phone for the billionth time, with no reply from my boyfriend. He was probably in training, my hardworking soldier, but this was important. 

I look across the kitchen to the family room couch and see Tyler playing with the baby's toes. With her size and the shape of her belly button she was fairly new, maybe a few weeks old.

 I can't raise a baby and a seven-year-old. 'This is absolutely in-'

*phone buzzes*

"Charlie?" I answer.

'Ray, what going on. Everything alright?' His voice sounded a little out of breath, he must have been running.

"Charli,e I have...I mean we found...I have a baby on my family room couch and its not mine," I got out

'Wait, WHAT? Where the-Did you take it?' I could visualize his hand pulling at his gray tank top in confusion.

'No It was left on my doorstep, please get here fast!' I somewhat whine.

'No, I will meet you at the Childrens Hospital in the City, we need to get this situation figured out, okay?' He calmly asks

Nodding I reply, 'Yes, I'll see you there." And then hang up. Letting out a deep breath and walk to my old parent's room.

In the back of their closet was all the baby stuff from Tyler when he was young. Searching through all the stacked items, I finally retrieved a beaten up blue baby carrier, Its handles duck taped from it being crushed in the move to Pampa four years ago.

I remember silently the move, it would be the last time my family was honestly happy and together. A move can be sad, but for my father it has been his whole life. As a military family, we don't stay long in one place. My mother never loved moving, but she always loved my father. When I was thirteen she was diagnosed with brain cancer. And died a year after living here. Since then my dad refuses to stay home so he chooses to be deployed for as long as possible, leaving me the Seventeen-year-old guardian of my brother.

"Tyler go get your jacket and boots! We are taking a drive downtown." I yell to him from the closet. I can hear him shuffling across the kitchen floor, he always loved my dads truck. It had big wheels and was painted black with navy blue designs on the sides.

Heading back to the room I gently place the little girl into the carrier with the couch blanket over her. And here we go...

*15 minutes later*

The hospital sliding doors embrace us with a warm breeze, relieving some of my stress at the moment.

Making my way to from desk I notice a man and woman in black suits with a blue symbol on their color. I don't think much of it and write down my information on the fill-out-sheet.

"Why are we here," I heard Tyler from the floor. We've only had the little girl in our possession for a few hours and he had already fallen for her cuteness. Her little eyes-blue and gray-I can't get my mind off of those. "I want to take the baby home, I want to watch the Last AirBender."

"Later, we have bring her here and see where she came from." I brush his disheveled black hair out of his eyes. My brother took on from my mother's Italian side.

"Raylynn Jackson?" A deep voice called from the front desk of the waiting room. Tyler looks up at me and reaches his hand up to me. I grab his hand and the baby carrier, then make my way. 

A man, the doctor in green scrubs and white jacket, lead us to a room and has us sit down.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Ryans, I hear you have a baby?" He looks down at the baby carrier.

"The baby is not mine, she was left on my doorstep," I pull the couch blanket off and a sleeping baby appears.

After a round of tests and waiting, Charlie had finally arrived. He sat next to me and played a game with Tyler on his phone. 

*knock on the door*

"Hello," A woman says, I recognize it is the woman from the waiting room in the black suit, "My name is Catherine Smalls, I' am from Social Services. Doctor Ryans has told me that you have a child, well honey we are here to help you."

I sense just by her attitude that I cannot trust this woman. She was just like the people a year ago at my trial, when I wanted custody of my brother. Ignorant, uncaring, only wanting money or publicity. 

"As you are still a minor, the state does not see you as capable of taking care of another human being, and I for one do-"

"Excuse me, you have no idea what you are talking about. I  take care of my brother," I cut her off. This woman is getting on my nerves.

"A brother is not the same as a mother," She arrogantly finished her point.

"I' am his legal guardian." And adding my final point to this pointless argument, I walk out of the room and down the hall to where they took the baby girl.

In a small room I see doctors and the man from the waiting room that was with Ms. Smalls, crowded around a screen. I walk up to the sliding doors and stand with my arms crossed.

"Ms. Jackson, you are not allowed to be back here," Doctor Ryans said, all eyes look upon me.

"Well this mean social service woman is accusing me of being incapable of taking care of her," I take a step closer inside. Towards the wall a nurse was wrapping the baby in a pink blanket. Her eyes squinted and began to cry. I quickly make my way over and scoop her into my arms.

This entire time, I didn't believe that I could do anything to help her, but now I can. 

"You are a minor, a young girl with a future, why would you want to make your life more stressful with a baby about a month old, without personal records, or a way of supporting her." The nurse said. I eyed her and then looked down at a cooing baby, her eyes shined bright and reached up to try and grab my face.

"I think I will do just fine, thank you," I say, bow my head a bit, then walk out.

Outside the door stood the social worker, Charlie and Tyler.

"Are you serious right now, are you out of your god-damn mind?" Charlie exclaims and pulls at his hair. Tyler walks over to me and hugs my side.

"As without parents and not legally an adult, you still do not have the right to have her," The social worker says to me as she holds a handbook.

"And I believe you are wrong there," a voice breaks the talk, Dr. Ryans, brings forth his paper, "Ms. Jackson, you will not believe what I'am about to tell you."

"What doctor?" I ask and take a step back towards Charlie, he places his hand on my shoulder.

Her flips to the back side and reads thoroughly

"Ms. Jackson, this baby belong to you,"

My eyes widen, "What do you mean she 'belong to you'?"

"Biologically Ms. Jackson, she is family,"