Chapter One

Chapter One

The next time I wake up I'm in a dark room. The walls are a dull gray with dim lights illuminating the small space. I'm on a small bed. The sheets a plain white. In fact everything on the bed is white: the sheets, the pillows, the duvet. There's a door on the far side of the room from me with metal bars about head height that peer outside the room. You can't see anything beyond the bars due to something blocking it like a door or a metal hatch that has to be opened from the outside.

I get up off the bed, stretching my aching limbs. How long have I been out? There's no way to tell within this bleak room. I start walking across the room toward the door. My steps slow; my limbs not used to the movement after so much time spent without moving them. My steps echo in the small room. It's thundering loud. The hatch on the door swings open; a man looks in and nods.

A voice comes from beside the man. "Sir. The boy's awake now."

Did they mean me? Who are they talking to? What is this all about?

A muffled voice that I can hardly make it out. "I'm on my way down."

"Copy that, Mr. President."

The President? The Capitol actually did capture me. It wasn't just a dream. Why? The last thing I remember is President Snow sliding my eyelids shut. How long ago was that? A day? Maybe two?

The hatch slamming shut brings me back to reality. I go back to the bed sitting on the side. Moments later, the door opens. President Snow strides in, the door shutting behind him but the metal hatch opens.

"Peeta. Peeta. How are you?" President Snow says, his eyes snake-like.

"Fine . . . Sir," I add as an afterthought.

He gestures at the door, and a man from the hallway brings in a chair, setting in the middle of the room. President Snow backs up, sitting down in the chair. He crosses his arms across his chest.

"What do you remember?" Snow asks.

"Being pulled up into a hovercraft," I say, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Hmm," he stares at me. "Do you remember what happened in the arena before that?"

There's no point in lying. The whole of Panem already knows what we were doing. It's all on camera, documented forever. "Beetee came up with a plan on how to kill the two remaining Career Tributes."

"And, what was that plan?" he asks sounding bored.

"To connect the coil of wire, Beetee had to connect it to the tree that got struck by the lightning at noon and midnight. Then, when the lightning struck the tree, it would travel down the coil and into the water, where the rest of the remaining wire would be, and electrify the water and the surrounding beach that was damp." My stomach starts rumbling as I talk.

"Yes. Yes," he says, nodding his head. "And it sounds like your hungry. Have some food brought in here for the boy," Snow calls behind him. He turns back to me. "Do you know what happened after you started carrying out the plan?"

"Finnick, Beetee, and I were still by the tree. While Katniss and Johanna brought the remaining wire down the water," I answer.

"Good. Good." The door opens behind him. An Avox carrying a tray enters the room. "Set the tray next to the boy.," he directs to the Avox. The Avox nods their head, setting the tray beside me on the bed. They quickly bow to President Snow before hastily exiting the room. The door slamming shut behind them. "What happened while Katniss and Johanna were bringing the coil down to the beach?"

"The wire was cut or snapped by someone. But Katniss or Johanna wouldn't do that. Well, I at least think Johanna wouldn't," I say shaking my head.

"Well, you're right Johanna nor Katniss did it," He starts scowling as he says Katniss's name. "What happened next?"

"Finnick took off in search of Johanna and Katniss. Then I took off after him," I say, hesitantly picking up the bread that is on the tray.

"Yes, continue," he says gesturing with his hand impatiently.

I take a small bite of bread, chewing slowly before I continue. "I started to shout for Katniss. She answered the first time. But when I called out again she wouldn't answer."

"That's because Finnick was about to attack her," Snow answers, his piercing eyes on me.

"No, no," I shake my head. "Finnick wouldn't do that. He had Haymitch's approval to be our ally."

"By our I assume you mean Katniss and yourself," He inquires. I shake my head in agreement. "But Finnick was about to attack her. He and Johanna were against you the entire time. They had a secret alliance going on before the Games officially started. They were plotting to kill you. As soon as that wire was cut Johanna knocked Katniss out and started to cut her with a knife. But what you refer to as the 'Career Tributes' got in the way of her plans, and she had to run. No worries about that though, Katniss lived through it, and we have Johanna in custody with us." He smiles widely. "But when Katniss shot an arrow at the force field it knocked everyone to the ground. They were unable to move. I'm sure you remember that." He doesn't wait for any response from me. "The rebels of District Thirteen picked up Katniss, Beetee, and Finnick. We only got you, Brutus, and Johanna. It all . . ."

I interrupt him. "There is no District Thirteen."

He chuckles to himself. "We tried to get rid of them, District Thirteen hid. I suppose with them in charge of nuclear weapons, they would also build a bunker. A secret bunker at that as the Capitol had no idea until it was too late. And now they're trying to take over Panem. They've captured the three we didn't get to in time. They're trying to use them against us, against you, Peeta. But I'm sure you don't want to get Finnick back after you heard he about attacked Katniss."

"It must have been a mistake. Finnick wouldn't do that," I insist.

"Do you know that for sure? You don't know Finnick as well as some of the others here in the Capitol. You don't really know what he is capable of. He's on the rebels' side. It seems all to be planned. To capture the remaining tributes from the arena. You were on the list. You should thank us for rescuing you." He pauses, but gets no response from me. "If you could tell us just where they've taken Beetee, Finnick, and Katniss, we can get them back for you and finally put an end to the rebels' cause."

"I don't know where they are," I say.

"Well, you must. Haymitch is apart of the rebels. You were close to him. He was your mentor. You volunteered to go in for him. He must have told you something or at least hinted at something," He pauses, leaning closer to me. "Katniss and you were in on the plans all along. You know everything, don't you? All you have to do is tell us, and we'll spare you. We might even spare Katniss if you tell us now."

"I don't know anything," I insist.

"You do know. Come on tell me. It will be better if you tell me now instead of later. It will just get worse the longer you wait."

"I don't know anything," I repeat.

"Well," he says standing up. "Since you refuse to tell me, we'll have to force the information from you." He walks to the door, opening it. But before he steps out he turns back to me. "When you're done with the food, put the tray by the door. Savour it. It might be the last best meal you get for a while." He turns, exiting the room. The door clanging shut behind him.

"We'll have to use the venom tomorrow," I catch before the metal hatch on the door is swung shut.

The venom? What venom? What has happened? District Thirteen is still around and has Katniss? If Haymitch is with Thirteen it can't be that bad. It must be for the best. Or is it? 

Edited