Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

About as quick as I shot up in bed, I fall back down on the mattress. My arm numb all over again. I see a guard shut the door behind him, a needle in his hand. My mind starts hallucinations and distorting memories all over again.

~M:PPOV~

How long have I been out? What day is it? I've been here so long I don't even know what day it was before I was drugged the first time. My stomach growls and, as if on cue, an Avox walks through the door, a tray in hand.

They set the tray down in front of me. The tray contains less than usual. Just a slice of bread and a glass of water. I take a bite of the bread, and it's stale. Do they think that's going to bug me? I've eaten stale bread for over half my life. What do they think we had in the bakery? Stale bread was for my family. Fresh bread for customers.

I finish my "meal" quickly and set the tray on the floor beside the bed. I lay back on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. The door opens, and I turn my head slightly, noticing President Snow walking in the room. I turn my attention back to the ceiling. Before now I hadn't noticed but my hands are constantly twitching. The beads of sweat on my forehead returned.

"Peeta," Snow addresses me.

I barely nod my head in acknowledgement.

"How are you feeling?" he asks.

I shrug my shoulders, my fingers tapping against the mattress.

"Sit up, boy," he commands, anger showing in his voice.

I obey, my feet hitting the floor. My foot starts tapping in rhythm with my fingers. I can't sit still. I need to fidget.

"How are you feeling?" he repeats.

"Fine. Fine, I guess," I say, taking a great effort to form words.

"Now, I'm sure you know why I'm here," Snow says.

"To question me some more," I say.

"Yes. Exactly. I guess I need to know exactly what you think about everyone."

"What do you mean?" I ask, confused as to why he needs to know what I think about everyone. Who is "everyone" anyway?

"Why don't you tell me about Finnick? What's he like?"

"Don't you already know this? He's been to the Capitol how many times now? But, okay, he definitely cares about his looks. He knows how to use a trident ,snd Haymitch thought he was an ally to have," I finish up.

"Hmmm. I see. What about Johanna?"

"Johanna. She seemed easily angered. She said she was told to bring Beetee and Wiress to Katniss. I don't know why or who told her that. Johanna was easily angered when she couldn't understand what Wiress meant by "tic toc". She didn't like Katniss much and that showed when she tried to kill her."

"Yes, she didn't like Katniss much," he sneers as he says Katniss's name. "Beetee. Tell me about him."

"Beetee. He was extremely smart. The whole plan he came up with none of the rest of us could follow it. He can work a plan out better than the rest of us. In training, he could even see part of the force field between us and the Gamemakers."

"Could he now? Well, that doesn't matter now. Tell me about Haymitch, your mentor."

"Haymitch. Haymitch, I thought he was a drunk at first. Thought I could change that around. And I did for a while with Katniss's help. Then after the first Games he turned back to alcohol. That wasn't a surprise though. Then the Quell came. I dumped all his alcohol down the drain. That surely didn't get me on his good side. I wouldn't trust him with my life now after he's gone over to the rebels."

"Hmmm. And last of all, Katniss."

"Katniss. She didn't know anything about the rebels up until they captured her. She didn't know what she was doing when she shoot at the force field. Those last minutes in the arena happened so fast. It kills me inside that I couldn't get to her in time to save her. That was the whole reason I volunteered. To keep her safe," I whisper the last sentence.

"All right then," Snow claps his hands. "That's enough for today. Enjoy the rest of your day," he says, exiting the room.

Enjoy the rest of my day. How can I enjoy myself when I've been in the same room for who knows how long now? It's odd that I didn't get injected again. Did I answer all his questions right this time? He was asking about people. Why did he want to know what I thought about Finnick, Johanna, Beetee, Haymitch, and Katniss?  

Edited