Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Slowly my hallucinations decrease. Slowly I wake up. How long have I been out? I don't think it's been long. I jerk when I hear the door opening. My head spins with the sudden movement. I'm expecting the guards to come back and inject more venom into me. But it's not the guards. It's just an Avox girl bringing in a tray of food. She sets the tray down on the bed beside me and then promptly leaves.

The tray looks similar to what they'd been feeding me since I'd been here. The only difference I can tell is that they aren't giving me lamb stew anymore but broth. Probably because I won't give them the information I don't have. How can I give information I don't have? What do they expect me to do? Make it up. That would probably just resort in some sort of punishment for lying. I sit up, my head spinning more. My limbs ache. The swelling hasn't gone down. I lean against the cold wall, using it to support me. My head leans back against the wall, trying to stop the spinning in my head. It helps some but not much. I lay my legs out flat, pulling the tray onto my lap. I grab the spoon; my shaking hand makes it harder to spoon some of the broth. I get some of the broth into my mouth the rest spilling down my chin. Picking up the napkin I wipe my chin off and then take the small loaf of bread they've given me and drunk it in the broth. The broth soaks the bread. It takes me longer to eat my meal today due to the shakiness in my hands and my aching limbs.

I shift on the bed, laying down again. I've developed a headache. The bed isn't exactly comfortable. But it's better than the floor or the arena. The arena. Katniss. Why did I let her out of my sight? If I didn't none of this would of happened.

My eyelids start drooping, closing completely. I drift off into slumber. An unrestful slumber filled with horrors.

~M:PPOV~

My eyes shoot open as the thick, metal door swings open. The Avox has returned, carrying another tray. She silently sets the tray down on the floor and picks up the one from earlier, exiting the room again.

I couldn't have been asleep for long. It must be around lunchtime, hence the tray. My limbs still ache, not better one bit. My headache has faded away mostly and only a little dizziness occurs. The meal is the same as earlier. My hands shake while eating or should I say trying to eat. I set the tray down on the floor. Picking up my boxes of cards, moving into the middle of the room I build yet another card house. I can sense a routine in the making.

~M:PPOV~

The next two days pass in the same fashion. An Avox bringing in a tray, clearing the one from the previous meal. Sleeping between meals. Building what seems like thousands of card houses. The meals did help me regain my strength. This day was going the same. The Avox had already brought me my lunch, and I finished it a while ago. I was staring at the ceiling. During the past week I'd noticed things I normally wouldn't have. The restless guards that stand outside my quarters shift constantly. The walls are a different shade of white than the ceiling.

I hear the door open. It's probably just the Avox. But then it dawns on me. It's much too early for her to be back with supper. I turn, sitting up on the bed.

President Snow.

He walks in the room; a white rose in the front pocket of his jacket. Why does he always have a rose? It matches his white pristine gloves.

"Peeta," he says, voice full of its own venom.

I merley nod, swinging my legs over the side of the bed.

"How are you feeling?" he asks, as if he were a good friend of mine.

How can he ask a question like he didn't do anything? He basically drugged me with venom. "I've been better," my voice harsh.

He nods his head. "Watch your tone. I've come to ask you a few more questions." With a snap of his fingers the two guards from previously come in. One with the needle.

I barely nod my head in acknowledgement.

"Questions about the rebels," he starts.

"I don't--" I begin.

Snow cuts me off. "I don't want excuses. I know you know something."

"But--" I try to speak.

He holds his hand up signalling for me to stop talking. "Where are the rebels located?"

"I don't know. You said they are from District Thirteen. Probably there," I say.

He nods seemingly satisfied with that answer. "About how many are there?"

"Rebels?" I ask. "I don't know. They probably gained more people since you blew up the District, and then more when the Districts started rebelling."

"Hmm. Yes, I suppose that could be true. How long has Haymitch been apart of the rebels plans?"

"I don't know. Haymitch has kept too many secrets from me. I don't trust him anymore. But I assure you he never said anything about District Thirteen or taking tributes from the arena," I say, my left hand tapping my left knee.

"I see. How about Katniss? Did she know anything?" he pries.

"No. She would have told me if she did. We agreed to not keep secrets from each other," I say, my head shaking back and forth.

"How would that stop her from telling you? She acted as if she loved you."

"No. No, she wouldn't do that. She would keep her promise to me." My voice grows quieter as I talk.

"What's the rebels plans?" he asks, moving on.

"I don't know," I simply say.

"What's their plans?" he asks, anger lacing his tone.

"I said, 'I don't know.'"

"Oh, but you do."

"No, no I don't," I say, anger rising.

"Yes, you do. Now tell me," he says, rising from his chair.

"I don't know anything," I say, rising to my own feet.

Snow snaps his fingers, the guards advance toward me. One holding me in place while the other jabs me with the needle. Instantly, I feel pain.

"When you're ready to tell me the truth, knock on the door," he says before turning striding out of the room with the two guards behind him.

I collapse on the bed, instantly passing out from the pain of the venom. 

Edited