Chapter Twenty-two

Chapter Twenty-two

This can only mean one thing, the Capitol found the remains of Boggs. They didn't find our bodies so they know we are still alive. They're hunting for us now. They've tracked us down, to under the surface.

"Katniss," I whisper.

She jumps at the sound. In an instant her bow is loaded and at the ready.

"Katniss," I say again. "Katniss." I sit up in alarm. "Katniss!" I say, quickly turning my head to face her. "Katniss! Get out of here!"

"Why?" she questions. "What's making that sound?"

She's wasting time. The more time she wastes the closer whatever creature the Capitol unleashed gets to us. "I don't know. Only that is has to kill you. Run! Get out! Go!"

She lets her bow down, "Whatever it is, it's after me. It might be a good time to split up."

"But we're your guard," Jackson objects.

"And your crew," another adds.

"I'm not leaving you," Gale says.

Katniss looks around. She tells Finnick to give a gun to Castor. Then, eject the blank from mine and load it up for real. Gale and Katniss hands their guns over to the ones who didn't have any weapons. My gun is taken from me but now loaded with actual bullets.

We clean the room, leaving it virtually spotless. The only thing remaining in the room of ours is our scent. But there is no way to get rid of that at the moment. Once out of the room, the hissing is louder. More distinct.

Snow most likely let the mutts underground via the location of Bogg's mangled body. I can see the sparkling gleam in Katniss' eyes. That gleam that means she has a plan. However, I'm sure the mutts will find it easier to track us with clanging of boots, the guns hitting the metal of the pipes, Katniss accidentally giving out commands to loud.

Three blocks are covered before the first screams are heard throughout this dark, underground prison.

"Avoxes," I say almost immediately, recognizing the familiar sound from my torture. "That's what Darius sounded like when they tortured him."

"The mutts must have found them," someone says from behind me.

"So they're not just after Katniss," another says.

"They'll probably kill anyone. It's just that they won't stop until they get to her," Gale says, lowly.

"Let me go on alone. Lead them off. I'll transfer the Holo to Jackson The rest of you can finish the mission," Katniss says.

"No one's going to agree to that!" Jackson exclaims.

"We're wasting time!" Finnick says.

"Listen," I whisper.

The screaming has stopped and Katniss' name was began again. The hissing now coming from below us as well.

"Katniss," the hissing continues from behind us and now below us.

Katniss' nudges Pollux on the shoulder and we all start running. We soon come upon a staircase leading down into more of these catacombs. Katniss quickly pulls out the Holo to look for a way out. Seconds pass and Katniss begins gagging.

"Masks on!" Jackson shouts.

I pull the mask I was issued on even though I am fine. But I don't want to take my chances. Katniss moves and stumbles into the wall. The walls that are the same colour as the streets above. Katniss raises her bow and shoots a pod which blows up as a result. We all start after her. She shouts a warning for us to stay with her.