Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Minutes later, or maybe hours, doctors wearing their white uniforms enter the room. Just like in the Capitol time is immeasurable here. It passes meaningless to me. Slow or fast, I don't know.

"Peeta. Peeta. You need to calm down," one doctor tries to reassure me.

I ignore the doctor and carry on with my rant. Katniss is a mutt intent on killing and destroying everything in its path.

I feel a small pinch. I look down to see a thin needle sunk into my skin. My eyelids start growing heavy. My skin pulls as the needle is retracted from my arm.

"That should keep him calm for now," a doctor says to my right.

That's the last thing I hear before my eyelids slid shut.

~M:PPOV~

I've been trapped in this room for a week now. My only visitors have been the doctors and a strange man that comes in daily. He just sits there, watching me. He just watches and says nothing. Like he's waiting for me to make the first move. It was today that it finally got to me. Why was he just sitting there?

"Who are you?" I ask suddenly.

"Plutarch."

His name sounds oddly familiar like I heard it somewhere before. That's right. He's head Gamemaker.

"Aren't you Head Gamemaker?" I ask, cautiously.

"I was."

"What do you mean you were?"

"I quit," he says simply.

"Why did you quit?" I ask. From what I know the Head Gamemaker is high up in the Capitol. It's a job many would kill for . . . figuratively and literally.

"I was in the plan the entire time. From the time the stipulation for the Quell," Plutarch sighs.

"The Quell? You mean the second time I was sent into the arena," I say.

"Yes. That is exactly right. Victors from past Games were sent into the Quell."

"I won the year before, right?" I question.

"Yes. How much do you remember?"

"I remember Katniss trying to kill me," I say, my voice low.

"She never tried to kill you," Plutarch says.

"She's a mutt," I growl. "She drugged me. I remember."

"She gave you sleep syrup."

"She gave it to me so she could kill me," I interrupt him. I know what my memories are telling me.

"No, Peeta, she gave it to you so she could save you from blood poisoning."

"How does that save me from blood poisoning!" I shout.

"You wouldn't let her leave to get the medicine from the feast in the arena. So Haymitch sent some sleep syrup for her to give to you so she could get the medicine."

"Haymitch was in on it. I don't trust him. He knows Katniss is a mutt. You guys are all blind," I argue.

But in the back of my mind a foggy memory tries to surface. It can't though for some reason. Something about what he said seems true. It can't be though.

"No, Peeta."

"She's a mutt!" I insist.

"Peeta."

"I think that is enough for today," a doctor says, entering the room. The doctor turns to me. "I think we can let the restrains off your arms and legs. Here, I brought you a bowl of pudding. Can you feed yourself?"

I nod my head and take the bowl from the doctor.

~M:PPOV~

I walk around the room, trying to regain some strength in my legs. The doctors think it will be good for me. But they won't let me leave this room yet. The door opens and in walks the man from the other day.

"What do you want?" I bark.

"I'm just here to talk. Why don't you take a seat before you strain yourself." he gestures to the bed.

I take a seat. "What did you want to talk about?"

"I want to know why you think Katniss is a mutt?"

"I don't think. I know," I say.

"Will you tell me why you say that?"

"She was created by the Capitol."

"How do you know if she was?" Plutarch asks.

"President Snow told me," I respond.

"How do you know you can trust him? He has lied for years."

He makes a good point. I can't trust anyone. "Then what is she?"

"Katniss is a human being like you and I."

"Then why did she try to kill me?" I ask.

"She didn't. You were both being used by the Capitol. You were hijacked." Plutarch says.

"Hijacked?" What the fuck is hijacked? What did they hijack? My mind?

"Yes, the Capitol injected you with tracker jacker venom to change your memories of her," he explains.

"Changed my memories?"

"Yes."

I don't say anything else. Could they have changed my memories? Could the tracker jacker venom change my memories? If so why did the Capitol want to alter my memories?

After a few minutes Plutarch stands. "Tomorrow we'll find out what you think happened and show you what actually happened." He leaves the room, shutting the door behind him.

Katniss isn't actually a mutt? I can't believe it. How were we both used by the Capitol? What is actually real? Is anything I remember true? 

Edited