Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I lay on the bed, staring at the bleak ceiling. I eventually drift off to sleep because the next thing I know is the sound of the heavy metal door being opened. It squeaks slightly as the hinges move. I groggily sit up on the bed, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. An Avox enters the room, setting a tray down on the floor beside the bed. They turn without a glance back at me, and the metal door clangs shut behind them.

I look down at the tray beside me. A small loaf of bread sits beside a steaming bowl of lamb stew. A cup of water sits in the corner of the tray. A card box sits to the side of the food. Entertainment, I suppose. I pick the tray up, setting it on my lap. Picking up the loaf, I roll around in my hands. I break the soft bread in half. Bringing the bread up to my lips to take a small bite. I dip half the loaf in the soup, soaking the bread. I finish the bread in a few more bites, and I move on to the soup. I drink the water after finish the soup. When I'm finished I set the tray on the floor where the Avox had put it earlier.

Taking the box of cards, I move into the middle of the room. I open the box, emptying the cards on the floor. I begin build of house of cards on the cold cement floor. Card on top of card I stack. About a half of the way through the cards, the door opens once more. Thinking it's just an Avox to collect the tray, I continue with my card house.

"That's a nice card house, Mr. Mellark," Snow's voice says.

I look up from my position on the floor. "Oh . . . Thank you," I say picking up another card.

Snow gestures his hand back toward the door and an Avox carrying a tray enters. "Set it there," he nods to the spot in front of me. "And bring that tray back up to the kitchens." The Avox grabs the tray and hastily exits the room, the door shutting behind them. The hatch on the door swings open. Two Peacekeeper guards stand on the side of the door.

"Peeta, I have a few more question for you," he says, as I pick up another card.

"Okay," I answer not looking up from the floor.

"President Snow?" A Peacekeeper says through hatch.

Snow stands up moving toward the door. I continue with my project.

"Yes," Snow responds to the guard.

"We have the venom," the Peacekeeper says quietly.

"I think we better hold off on the venom for now. At least until after the interview," Snow says just as quietly.

"Yes, sir. But he hasn't even agreed to do the interview," the guard says.

"He will," Snow says turning back to me. "And can you bring Mr. Mellark another box of cards."

"Yes, Mr. President."

Snow turns back to me, walking back to his chair. He watches me stack a few more cards onto the card house. "Peeta, how would you feel like doing an interview with Caesar?"

"About what?" I ponder.

"Your thoughts on what's all happened."

"So, about the arena?"

"Yes, and well I guess I better tell you about Twelve."

I look up at him. "What about Twelve?"

"It no longer exists," he says simply.

"What do you mean it no longer exists?" I say.

"It was bombed."

"Where is my family? My parents? My brothers?"

"I'm sorry but they died in the bombing," he says, leaning forward placing a gloved hand on my shoulder.

I shrug his hand off. "When did this happened?"