Chapter 4: The Return Of The Idiot

Quinn's P.O.V

The drive back to the house was full of sideways glances, mouths opening and closing, and silence. I didn't know what to say exactly. I wasn't sure what grounds we were on. She hadn't scoffed, rolled her eyes, or yelled. Sure, I protected her, but that was my job. I had a hunch she was a little frightened by me. I wasn't sure what, but something shifted in our relationship, (If you could call it that.) and I didn't know if it was good or bad.

We pulled up to the house, but neither of us made any movement to exit the car. I looked over at Vivian and caught her staring right back. I opened the door, and rounded the car to the back. I opened up the trunk to retrieve Vivian's bags. I slammed the trunk shut and turned to my right, to find a pair of brown eyes watching me. I raised an eyebrow at her silence.

"So, aside from that asshole, did you and your friends have fun?" I asked. I decided to cut through the silence. She just shrugged her shoulders as a response. The tension between us was thickening, and Vivian's silence wasn't doing anything to lessen it. I was seriously wondering what the guy said to get her to close herself off. Well, even more than before. I considered asking her, but thought better of it, so I followed her to her room, and sat her bags on the floor.

"Well, I'll be across the hall. Just call out if you need me." I said. I turned and went to open the door. I got halfway out the door when I heard something that threw me completely off-guard.

"Thank you." she said. I nodded my head and walked out, closing the door behind me.

Vivian's P.O.V

She hadn't asked me anything. She knew my boundaries and didn't even come near them. I knew she wanted to ask what the man at the mall said, but she refrained herself. For that, I was grateful. I flung myself on to my bed, and thought back to what he said.

"Hey bitch." he said, slamming his hand on the table. Sage, Ashley, and I raised an eyebrow at his crass behavior.

"What the hell do you want, you pea-sized brain idiot? I snarled.

"Johnson wants your whole family dead. Spread the word for me?" He raised a hand, about to send a message to my family, when a hand caught him by the wrist, effectively pinning him to the table.

I'm pretty sure my eyes were as wide as the plates our food was on. I was surprised at how quick Becca got there. She was by far the best bodyguard I had in a long while. She respected boundaries, she didn't try to be my friend, and she protected me better than the others. My father was strict on the no-dating-my-daughter rule. Yet they always tried to break that rule. I never saw them again. I left my room and headed for the basement, where I knew my father would be. I never stepped foot in the basement. I was allowed, but I chose not to. I knocked on the door, and I heard a familiar sound of footsteps not long after.

"Hello Vivian. Did you have fun with your friends. Did Becca look after you?" he asked, preparing to handle a nonexistent problem. My thoughts went back to Becca playing on her phone, and I snorted. At my father's bemused expression, I hurriedly put his mind at ease.

"Yes I had fun. Sage, Ashley, and I went shopping for clothes." I hesitated on telling him about the incident at the food court, but decided on not telling him. "Becca is actually very good at her job." I said cryptically.

"Well I'm glad to hear that." he said cheerfully. I couldn't tell if he was talking about  one of them, or both.

"I still believe I'm old enough to protect myself though, but I guess she's better than the others." I said with a sigh. He just smiled, and went back down the stairs. I shook my head, and went up to my room.