Our First Trial

I awoke to someone banging on our door. looking around, I saw Steve was still asleep. I stood stretched and walked over to the door. When I got their I saw the man who brought Steve here. Through a small sliding door, he looked at me with fear. "How the hell did Notch even make you? I mean, what did he put in you to give you white eyes?"

"Yah, like I'm supposed to know. I wasn't just created yesterday or anything. I should just know everything right on the spot." I spat sarcastically.

He looked at me with surprise. "Well, he certainly gave you a lot of bravery didn't he?" He looked down and handed me something. "Here, even subjects need to eat. Give your friend some to. I'm sure you're both starving."

I looked at Steve who was still sleeping. He rolled over to face the wall and started muttering to himself. "Yah, I'm sure he is." I said quietly.

"He? Aren't you hungry?" The man asked full of surprise.

"No, not really, but thanks for the offer. I'll just give Steve mine or something." I started to walk off until the man said something I couldn't hear. "What? I missed that last part."

"My name's Ben. I figured you should get to know some of us seeing as how you passed the first two tests."

"Tests? What tests are you talking about? I heard, Notch was it, say something about a test what does he mean?" I asked.

"Sorry, Brine, I can't tell you anything about it. If I do, well, you would have to be eliminated from the experiment, and I think, Steve is gonna need your help if he's gonna pass the tests." Ben said.

"Tests as in plural? More than one? And why only me? Didn't Steve pass the tests?"

"Yah, you both passed, Steve barley passed the first one, you helped him with that. And yes, tests as in plural, Notch has some plans for the two of you." He started to walk away, but stopped "Don't worry about Notch, he's not as mean as he seems." And with that he walked off.

I watched as the small door shut and Ben walked away. I stood a moment longer watching the door, waiting for it to open again, it never did. So, I leaned against the wall across from the beds, and stared into the abyss.

"Brine are you ok?" Steve said snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Huh, oh, yah I'm fine, why?"

"Well you were just staring at nothing, so I thought something was wrong."

I stared at Steve and thought about what Ben had said. Maybe he's right, I thought, maybe Steve will need my help. If he does, well I can't just sit by and do nothing. "Don't worry about me Steve, I'll be fine. "I looked down and saw the food that Ben had given me. "Here," I said handing Steve some. "The man who brought you here, Ben I think he said his name was, gave me some food to give you."

"What about you? Don't you need to eat?" Steve asked taking the food what ever it was, bread I think, gratefully and started eating.

I showed him the little bit I had,"I already started eating." I lied. "No need to worry Steve. I can take care of myself. "I said smileing a bit.

Steve gave me a small smile in return and continued to eat in silence. That is until Notch came to the door and walked in.

"Ahh, I see your both awake and fed," he looked right at me and I stared back keeping a straight face. "Well, mostly. Anyway," he said clapping his hands, "Congratulations on passing the first few tests. I can see some real potential in you two. If you would kindly follow me we can continue with the tests." Notch said walking out. Steve nor I moved from where we were. "What, don't you trust me?" He asked pretending to sound hurt.