I'm Having a Ball (~ Roger Taylor)

Everywhere on the blue tiles, feet spun and walked, as an orchestra played the melody which set the cadence of their steps. Silk, lace and velvet caressed the floor as the ladies dressed in long fancy dresses gave in to the music, sharing smiles and gazes with their dance partners who led their moves. Their shadows came and went on the luxurious velvet curtains at the tall windows, as the bright lights of the ivory chandelier shone upon their figures. The ballroom had turned into a myriad of colours in motion.

Laughter echoed in the hall every so often, as well as voices sharing sweet words or jokes. The troubles of their everyday lives seemed to have never existed; it was as though they had removed the weight that had lingered upon their shoulders for a while before throwing it away. Their dancing feet were stamping on it carelessly. That night, there was not enough space for worries, for joy had replaced it.

At the far end of the ballroom, the King and the Queen, dressed in expensive outfits were sitting on their red velvet thrones, which were displayed on a small stage. With smiles on their faces, they let their eyes wander across the room, watching couples dance to the music the orchestra was playing. They appeared rather satisfied by their Carnival ball, which had succeeded to gather many people from their territory, and others from foreign lands.

Watching the scene from behind a curtain upstairs, Dorothea let out a sigh. For the occasion, she had put on her favourite ball gown, yet her insecurity restrained her from showing up to the ball. Unfortunately, she knew she could not hide eternally, since she was the daughter of the sovereigns. Protocol forced her into being present at the event, and she had to share at least one dance with any of the male guests. The truth was, she was quite uncomfortable with traditions and with the idea of dancing in front of everyone, including foreign princes who potentially could ask for her hand in marriage.

She looked down at her dress and made sure nothing was out of place or filthy. Her dress was one of her most precious belongings, although she had not worn it often. It was a bit old-fashioned for her time, being typical of the previous century. It was made of golden satin and black velvet; satin formed the long and wide angel sleeves as well as the front of the dress, while velvet covered the shoulders, the top of the arms, and the whole back. It was corseted at the front by a velvet string. A black choker – with beads and diamonds resting on her collar bones as well as her shoulder-length hair – was tied around her neck, matching perfectly with her outfit.

Hearing footsteps behind her, she quickly turned her head and smiled at the sight of Annie, her servant. She was coming up to her with a grin, yet Dorothea could tell something worried her. Annie grabbed her hands and stepped back, admiring her dress.

'Your Majesty,' she cooed, 'you are irresistible, and incredibly beautiful in this dress. Why won't you go to the ball?'

Dorothea sighed sadly, turning her back to her, watching the people dancing downstairs again. She shook her head and gulped.

'This crowd intimidates me. And I feel so insecure about it all.'

'I can understand that you feel intimidated by this crowd,' Annie admitted, standing by her side and watching the scene as well. 'But I can assure you that nothing will go wrong. What possibly could?'

'I am terrible at dancing,' the princess whispered. 'If I go down there, I will make a fool of myself.'

Annie laughed, confusing the young woman. Her servant faced her and laid both of her hands on her mistress' shoulders.