Cooking With The Moon (~ Keith Moon)

A record was gracefully spinning on the turntable, the cartridge wandering on the grooves, making the lovely music come out of the speakers, situated on each side of the living room. It filled the whole place with its catchy melody, the powerful instruments almost making the walls tremble. On the small table, a hot cup of tea, half full, with the steam floating above it. Next to it, a pile of damaged magazines read about a thousand times, with their corners folded or torn; Jean Shrimpton, Twiggy, Penelope Tree and Pattie Boyd were dominating the covers. There also were a few books here and there, mainly Gothic novels. There was a wool ball with knitting needles beside it, and it looks like some work had been started but given up.

On the couch, Kate was peacefully reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, resting on her elbow, her legs clothed with red cropped trousers elegantly curled up under her. Her blue eyes were attentively reading the words that made her travel through time and space. For a moment, she was not Kate anymore, but a ten year old Jane Eyre, living in Lowood and befriending Helen Burns.

Suddenly, screeching tyres seemed to yell through the whole street. Being quite far from the window, Kate could not see what was happening outside. She shrugged, quite used to this kind of noise in the street; so many people had accidents right there, in front of her house, for they did not focus entirely on the road or drove way too fast, surely to impress some other people being in the car with them. It was so frequent that Kate did not worry much.

As she plunged herself in her book again, a loud knock at the door sounded in the corridor. She sighed and quickly wedged her blue bookmark between the pages, putting the book on the table. She stood up, not bothering to put on her slippers, and ran up to the door. She turned the key in its hole, since she had locked the door when she came back from the supermarket earlier. She opened it, and jumped in surprise, as the first thing she saw was a car, parked way too close to her door. She even could see the tiny and large scratches on the shiny bonnet, lit up by the dull daylight, trying to reach earth through the threatening morning clouds.

Just before the car stood a man, who she recognised immediately. His brown eyes were sparkling, as usual, and his lips were stretched into a cunning grin, as his messy hair got stuck to his face because of the wind. He was wearing a white jumper under his leather jacket, his short legs covered with blue jeans.

Keith Moon.

Kate smiled widely and reached out to him, pulling him into a warm hug. He was chuckling, squeezing her tightly against his thin chest.

“Nice to see you, love!” he whispered in her ear.

“It's been a while since we last saw each other! Come in!”

She stepped aside and let her friend in, closing the door behind him as he removed his jacket, hanging it to the coat rack, and taking off his leather boots. Kate cleared her throat and ran a hand through her dark hair, looking at him.

“So... To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?” she smirked, crossing her arms. He spun round to face her, his eyebrows cocked and his lips pouting.

“Big words for a big woman.”

“Oh, shut up, Moon!” she laughed.

“Hey, you I know I don't like it when you call me Moon. It's Keith, just Keith.”

“Yeah, but as you're being annoying, I annoy you!”

Keith chuckled and kissed her cheek, stroking her hair thoughtfully. He frowned and looked at it, as if he was examining every hair that grew on her head.

“It grew quite a lot since last time” he spoke. “Or perhaps it's just me who's imagining things... I don't know.”

“It did grow since last time. But you still haven't answered my question, little boy!”