The Last Dance (3)

Chapter 3 - Party Crashers

I headed back to the castle in the late afternoon, not looking forward to the big party I'd had to arrange. What was the big deal anyway? But of course it was a big deal, to everyone else. I sighed and headed into the stable; no one was around. I smiled, grateful for another few minutes of silence before I got caught up in the preparations for the party.  

Well, at least I managed to convince everyone that it was only a casual party, meaning that I wouldn't have to wear anything special for the occasion. A small blessing I guess. I rubbed down Coriolis taking more time than was needed before reluctantly headed in. It was silly really, I used to love getting all dressed up. I remember when I was younger always begging to wear my sister's gowns, borrowing my mothers jewels, asking to wear those pretty shades of rouge, and shoes that I couldn't even stand up in. And now I couldn't be bothered, it seemed so pointless, so superficial. But then again, I suppose it did have its merits, I mean look what happened in the clearing, and I hadn't even been dressed up. Still, my lack of femininity never stopped the palace boys from their teasing, I smiled thinking back to this morning.  

"Miss Celia is that you?"  

Drat, spotted.  

"There you are! Lady Mira and Lily have been looking all over for you."  

I sighed, "I suppose they have, where shall I meet them?"  

"In the east wing they said."  

"Alright, thanks Jonna."  

She smiled at me. "My Lady, no need to be so glum, and on your birthday too!"  

"It's all just a big bother Jonna."  

"Oh, what a thing to say, hush now and put on a smile, this has been the talk of the castle for weeks. And between you and me, these girls need something to look forward to."  

I sighed and headed down the hallway. I'd invited all the girls staying at court, most of whom I'd hardly exchanged two words with. It was going to be a long, and dull night.  

"Cee! There you are, where have you been."  

I plastered on a smile and ran to meet Lily.  

"Sorry! I completely lost track of the time!" Not a complete lie...  

"Oh, you must be so excited."  

"Er, sure, can't wait." She grabbed my hand and started pulling me reluctantly down the hall.  

"Ok, so, everything is set for a girl's night in! We've got music and food, and they dragged piles of pillows and comfy chairs into the east ballroom."  

"That sounds nice"  

"Plus Mira and I got some of the girls together early and covered the room in silky drapes and streamers, really Cee it's gorgeous, even YOU won't be able to stay depressed!"  

"What? I'm not depressed, I told you I can't wait, it's going to be so much fun."  

She looked back to roll her eyes at me. "Please Celia, like we don't know you'd rather stay out all night in the stocks than attend your own party."  

"That's not true, I'd end up with a sore neck for a week!"  

"Oh, you know what I mean, but just you wait, we're determined to make sure you have a good time." 

"Why doesn't that sound reassuring?"  

She laughed and continued pulling me along. "Ok, we're here, let the pampering begin."